Thursday, August 4, 2011

Check out this great blog by Lawrence Block


When I was perusing the fantastic blog of uber-talented movie critic Glenn Kenny "Some Came Running" I saw a guest post by one of my all time favorite writers Lawrence Block.

Mr. Block did a guest post and I followed it to his new blog called LB's Blog. In this new blog the author interacts with his fans as they ask him questions and talks about the new world of e-books and blogging and what not. In just a few posts Mr. Block sets a high bar for courtesy and kindness in replying to his many fans.

If you have never read the Matt Scudder books you are missing a bet. They are among the finest mystery and private eye stories out there. Now it is not so much about the "mystery" of the crime but about living your life. Matt Scudder is an recovering alcoholic and the picture that Mr. Block paints of living and drinking in New York is 100% accurate. When he rights about places I know well like the West Side Irish Bars, after-hours, Bay Ridge, Cobble Hill, Sunset Park and the Upper West Side he hits it out of the park.

My favorite of his 17 Scudder books is "When the Sacred Ginmill Closes" which is just about one of the best books about hanging around in bars and what happens to you that I have ever read.
Mr. Block is an inspiration to me and a superb author.

His current book "A Drop of the Hard Stuff" is another home run and should be on your kindle lists.

Jeez I sound like a fucking fan-girl. But the guy is that good. Do yourself a favor and pick up a couple of his books to read this summer. You will be glad you did.

9 comments:

chickelit said...

His tie matches Jeannie's dress.

Trooper York said...

You like how I did that right?

Trooper York said...

I am a fuckin' fashion maven!

chickelit said...

When he rights about places I know well like the West Side Irish Bars, after-hours, Bay Ridge, Cobble Hill, Sunset Park and the Upper West Side he hits it out of the park.

Sounds like you're a chip off the old block yourself.

MamaM said...

His tie matches Jeannie's dress.
and
I am a fuckin' fashion maven!

See what shows up when the shakey cam starts rolling?

A pair of Effing Gimlet Eyes.

With F for fashionista, of course

Never mind the MamaM, her blue eyes turn green and cross whenever the little chicken's eyes spy something first.

They also get wide like flying saucers when the cynical Private Eye raises his eyebrow, opens his coat and flashes the good stuff.

Pete said...

I'm on LB's e-mail newsletter list though I'm sure this information I get about the latest is on his blog: For $0.99 you can get a Kindle version of all the Afterwards to his re-published works, the next best thing to an autobiography you can get.

Craig Ferguson is a fan and has had him on his show several times. A great writer and, it seems, an all around good guy.

chickelit said...

MamaM wrote: They also get wide like flying saucers when the cynical Private Eye raises his eyebrow, opens his coat and flashes the good stuff.

I see a resemblance.

Lawrence Block said...

Thanks for the very kind words. I'm just glad I saw Jeannie's dress first and was able to pick a tie to match.

Trooper York said...

Thanks for stopping by Mr. Block.

I can't believe it when one of my hero's drops a comment.