Sunday, July 27, 2008

Wedding Follies

So we go to this wedding of a good friend on Saturday. She was married in my old parish church on Hicks St in a nice ceremony on a very hot day. The bride was half Irish and half Mexican and is from Texas. The groom is a Harry Potter nerd guy from upstate. They moved to Brooklyn and imported both families for the nuptials. Now they were infatuated with the guinea style of doing things so they wanted a Carroll Gardens wedding.

They did something I never saw before. They hired a Mexican Mariachi band that played in the back of the church. Then the band led a procession from the church to the catering hall. I asked the bride if all of the Mexican nannies and bus boys working in the neighborhood would follow the music and expect to be part of the party. She promptly hit me on the head with a water bottle. But she does that all the time.

Anyway we go upstairs for the cocktail hour. But there wasn't a cocktail hour. But there was an open bar. Now that's a lot of buts and let me tell you a lot of buts where hitting the floor as people got drunk without eating. Now it's not good for people who don't know how to drink to let loose in a party situation. I mean you probably see it all the time at your office Christmas party. The girl who gets blotto on two martinis. This woman at our table slugged down three apple martini's and promptly disappeared into the bathroom for the next hour. She was the mom of one of the girls in the bridal party and wasn't any sort of a drinker. So she didn't know her own limits. I kept asking her husband who was sitting at the table "Dude, don't you think you should check on your wife?" But he didn't care because the food was stating to come out. I finally got the bridesmaid to check on the mom and they got her to come out and sit down. She immediately demanded to go home. Which was great. I got to eat her entree. So in the end, it all worked out.

6 comments:

blake said...

A good man knows his limitations.

A good woman knows her man's limitations.

Trooper York said...

An even better woman makes her whole family leave because she got drunk and I get four pieces of wedding cake. Cool.

blake said...

A good man also knows when to exploit his opportunities.

You must've been a terror when you were single.

Trooper York said...

Heh.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Man you got two dinners! Did you add any money to the gift card? Heh.

Remember when you did that as a young adult..... "this wedding is great I will throw another $20 into the gift card envelope"... "or they call this an open bar? I am taking $20 back from the gift card envelope".

Trooper York said...

AJ, thats what my grandmother taught me. Never fill out the check until after the dinner.