Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wedding blues!

So the wife and I went to a wedding last night. One of our big customers got married and was nice enough to invite us. It was in this fancy waterside restaurant in Long Island City with a great view of Manhattan. Now we didn't know anyone other than the bride and groom but we had our usual great time. Since we didn't know anyone, my wife let me dance which she almost never does. You see when I dance it's sort of like Jim Carrey in the "Mask".....on crack. I pull out all of my best Ralph Kramden moves, you know the huckle buckle and the curly shuffle and the whole ball of wax.

Anyway it was a different type of wedding. It was a Polish Catholic marrying a Jewish Lawyer from the Island. Culture shock but in a good way. At one point we are chatting with the bride and she says "Oh wait I have to go get the DJ to play a polka for my mother in law". I said "A polka, Holy Crap I love polka." So we danced a combination Polka/Saturday Night Fever Hustle. It was something to see I tell ya.

The only slight problem was the food. Not that it wasn't good and plentiful. But it was a buffet style seating without assigned seats. You know, you don't get to go to the little table with your seat assignments so you walk over and introduce yourself. I always love that because you are usually sitting with people you don't know. That's one of my favorite things to do. I introduce myself and the wife and get the conversation going. And if I didn't meet them before, all my material is new. Cool.

Anyway, we really didn't have anyplace to sit so we found this couch right off the dance floor that had a little table. Since we didn't have any sliver ware a scored some chop sticks from the sushi bar to use to eat from the buffet. I served as a runner going up to the various stations. Since the brides family was Jewish, they love Chinese food and sushi so they had both a sushi bar and a Chinese food bar where they prepared the stuff right in front of you. So I kept getting freshly prepared chicken and broccoli and beef with bean sprouts in garlic sauce. I did hit the regular buffet for prime rib. And it's a lot of fun to try to eat mashed potato with chop sticks.

But my serving as runner was just for the first few trips. I do what I usually do and threw a few tips around and talked to everyone like they were regular people. So they were coming over with plates of food and drinks and napkins and taking away dishes. The other people where going "Who are these guys." So that was fun.

But then trouble. The deserts came out. Now we don't eat cake any more because my wife can't eat sweets for health reasons, and I can't eat it because she can't eat it if you know what I mean. But the desert table was out. Flan. Black Forrest Cake. Cheese cake. Apple tart. Irish coffee. AND MY FAVORITE WALNUT CAKE. Man, I snuck three pieces of walnut cake. Now I had been enjoying a few cocktails so the cake slid down with no trouble. We said goodbye to all the nice people we had met and jumped in the car we had ordered and got home in no time.

Picture this. Your hero tossing and turning. His stomach in an uproar. The Walnut cake has declared war on the prime rib. The Beef with snow peas duking it out with the flan. I was sick as a dog.

A bottle of Beptmo Bismal and a good dump later I felt almost human. I love going crazy at weddings. It's the next morning that's not so much fun.

2 comments:

Meade said...

"A bottle of Beptmo Bismal and a good dump later I felt almost human"

Thank you for that information, titusisposingastrooperyork

blake said...

lol, meade