Saturday, May 15, 2010

How far we have fallen



When I was a kid they were having the Gallo-Profaci war. The Gallos were the local gangsters and they were duking it out with the boss Joe Profaci for a bigger slice of the pie. They used a lot of incidents from the war in the original Godfather books and movies. For example they threw Joe Jelly's bullet proof vest with a fish in it in front of one of the joints on Columbia St where the Gallos hung out.

Eventually Joey Gallo got busted and went upstate and Larry died and the war petered out until Joey got out of the joint. Then he became a high society gangster and hung out in the city with actors and authors and Warhol and the whole dirty mix. He got tight with Jerry Orbach who played him in a movie called "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight." This was from a book by that dick Jimmy Breslin making fun of the Gallos and the whole situation.

Now one of the big stories about these guys is that they had a pet lion in the basement of their social club in a Brownstone on President St. Somebody gave it to him and it was old and sick and what not but it was one of the legendary stories that shows up now and again in so many gangster movies. They played it out for comedy in the movie but it was kind of sad. But hey when you were a seven year old kid and walked by on the way to the pizza store and the lion lunged at you, well you shit your pants. You know what I mean.

Anyway those days are long gone. Joey got hit at Umberto in the 70's and the rest of those guys died in one way or another. There is only one guy left in the neighborhood who is in his eighties.

He is the guy they kind of model Feech Lamana in the Soprano's. He is a fixture in the neighborhood and all the old timers know who he is. The hipster dofus assholes don't have a clue. He did about twenty jobs or so we hear. A genuinely tough guy. In the '70's and 80's everybody walked softly around him because he had a bad temper and would shoot you in a minute if you looked at him the wrong way. Now he just sits at the cafes and has an espresso and enjoys the sun. He has a lot of money on the street and has a piece of a lot of stuff going on in Court St. He has a piece of this cafe/bakery joint where he likes to sit everyday. I always say hello when I pass by.

Anyway I was walking to the store and passed by the cafe like I always do. And they have the little hatchway on the front that leads directly to the basement. All the brownstones do. This place has their kitchen there. And right in the front, they put a stuffed lion. I quess to scare away the little yappy dogs that want to run down the steps to where they make the food.

How far we have fallen. From real lions to stuffed lions. It is just unfuckinbelievable!

14 comments:

Jason (the commenter) said...

This blog seems to have gotten a lot more spartan all of a sudden.

Trooper York said...

Yeah I am having sidebar problems.

For some reason the side bar is going to the bottom of the blog.
The last time that happened it was because the photo I put in was too big. I deleted the last one I put in but that didn't fix it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jason (the commenter) said...

Try this stuff.

Trooper York said...

Thanks Jason. That did it.

I thought it was that Grupta dude that just started posting.

He might have had something that was too wide for the tenplate.

Not that theres anything wrong with that.

chickelit said...

What happened to my comment about lions and garage mahal troop?

Trooper York said...

I had to erase the first post because I thought it was causing my sidebar issue and I couldn't save the comment. I deleted the whole post because I thought that it was the problem. It wasn't but I couldn't change it.

I appolgize for deleting it. I also deleted a comment by Titus's boyfriend with a link in it because I thought that might be the problem. I was following the advice from Blogger that Jason pointed out.

Once again, I am very sorry I had to delete that whole post and lost your comment.

Let's go over to the evil blogger lady and bust garages balls.

Better yet, I will make a few posts over here.

Peter V. Bella said...

And here in Chicago, one of the most notorious and feaarsome mob hitmen died in prison. Harry "the Hook" Alemen.

Harry was responsible for twenty or thirty murders that they know of. He is most famous for being tried twice for the same murder. Since the first case was proven to be fixed with a 10G bribe, the SCOTUS ruled there was no double jeopardy.

He was serving 100-300 years.

chickelit said...

That's OK Troop. I actually felt a tiny twinge of remorse after having written it.
Garage hasn't been around EBL lately, so maybe something is up with him.

ricpic said...

My ancestors (what a strange word that is, ancestors) anyway, my ancestors joined together in a family organization when they had just come over from the old country and they pooled their resources from the little mom and pop grocery stores and book stores and all kindsa other stores they owned and when they had enough communal gelt the family bought an apartment house and made my grandmother and grandfather the managers (not the supers, that was for the schvartzes) and the apartment house they bought was at 1690 President Street. And that's the troof.

DaddyO said...

Hello please.

I am here to telling you what it is that is pissing me off.

People are always asking me the same two things when I am out. Last night for an example, my wife Titus and I were at a just fabulous restaurant where met we a large group of friends and some people we didn't know.

The peoples we didn't know asked me the two things all Indians do not want to be asked. First, do you know Deepak Chopra? And second, do you do yoga?

These are making me very angry. Why should I know Deepak Chopra, just because he is an Indian? We don't all know each other, stupid! I do not even read his books. I tried once but it was full of such noncense that I threw it away.

Here. Look at this from Deepak Chopra. "Nothing is more important than reconnecting with your bliss. Nothing is as rich. Nothing is more real. "

What is this shit? This is not what people from India think. We might think "nothing is as important than staying connected with your money" because most peoples in India are poor. There is not time for thinking of the bliss when one is starving! Deepak Chopra is very muck like the Al Gore. He makes much money telling nonsense. And I do not know him.

Do I practise yoga? This too is shit. All Indians do not practise yoga. This is like asking an American if he practises baseball. I say "no, I do not practise yoga" and someone says "but you are so thin..."

What I want to say is "listen Ms. Fatty Butt Lady, what I practise is not eating. You should try it before you ass needs its own zip code." But no, I do not say this. Americans are very easily angered about the fat.

I am telling you these things because I am tired.

chickelit said...

Troop, I think Gupta deserves a tag.

Michael Haz said...

Trooper,

I've just finished reading this book about the Italian mafia, and think you might enjoy it as well.

chickelit said...

Is the author still alive or in witness protection? Can't be that good if not. :)

chickelit said...

That's OK Troop. I actually felt a tiny twinge of remorse after having written it.

OK, I retract that twinge of remorse.