Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Rembrances of Things Pabst


Now I might have mentioned that I hate to go to the movies because I can't stand to have everyone shouting at the screen and acting like morons. Plus my plasma is as good as most multiplex's and I have not been to the movies in a long, long time.

But our good friends Amy and Chuck convinced us to try the Kaufman Astoria multiplex this past Tuesday. It is our day off and we decided to give it a try. First of all what is great is that it has a parking lot so you drive right in and take an elevator to the show. It was pretty empty which was also great. We saw a flick called "Hanna" which was a science fiction movie about a twelve year old girl who beats up German guys who out weigh by 200 lbs. Not all that believable but the popcorn was good and the wife let me eat twizzlers. So I had fun.

Then we went to this great restaurant that Amy picked out called Piccola Venezia. It was superb. I mean really great. It was old school with a very knowledgeable waiter who listed all the dishes and the specials of which there were about forty different things to pick from. The wife had a great stuffed artichoke for an appetizer and I had some escarole and beans which was great. And the mozzarella the Amy had was a creamy delight as we all shared and shared alike. The wife had a terrific chicken pounded flat and covered in spring vegetables and I had a superb cavatelli and sausage pasta dish. This had to be one of the best Italian restaurants I have ever eaten in and I recommend it very highly.

If you ever get out to Astoria you have to give it a try.

25 comments:

Ron said...

I have a a friend from A2 who moved back to Astoria to be near his folks... I'll mention this place to him.

Titus said...

Your pasta looks amazing. I love old school italian. Of course there are none because this is Madison and there are no italians.

Boston and its suburbs have amazing old school italian.

I am thinking about Demainos in Revere.

Revere is like Jersey Shore.

Titus said...

OMG, I just went on their website and it shows pics of their items. Fucking gorgeous.

Titus said...

Trooper, do you hate me?

Penny said...

"Trooper, do you hate me?"

Love you, Titus. Honestly, I do.

But do you REALLY imagine that Troop hates anyone?

Penny said...

I guess I always saw Troop as a hard working schlep with a big heart?

ricpic said...

I hate you Titus, but in a totally impersonal way. ;^)

Like a million years ago I had one of the great dishes of my life in a little neighborhood Italian restaurant in Ridgewood, Queens. Veal alla Francaise. Oh that lemon-butter sauce.

Keeding Titus, keeding.

Trooper York said...

Everybody loves you Titus.

Don't get all needy on us.

The Dude said...

I think you are a low life Titus, but would not waste the energy hating you. Mocking you, belittling you, laughing at your inability to write English - sure, you deserve all that and more.

Your stupid comments about others, your naked hatred of normal people and your bizarre lies about your personal life are pathetic, but hardly hate-worthy.

I think of you as the wounded little sissy who drew the short straw in life - you are more to be pitied than reviled.

blake said...

You're really making it hard for me to sell The Boy on Hanna. He's already decided it's stupid.

He's agreed to see it on the condition that I allow him to post a rant on the blog.

blake said...

Don't know where he gets that from...

Titus said...

Thanks Troop and Thanks Sixty-that was sweet.

Titus said...

If I became an ex-gay would you all be there for me?

Signed,

Ex-gay curious.

deborah said...

I know for a fact I get on Troop's nerves...but he kinda likes me. Heh.

Please cheer me up with a deborah commenter memory, willya?

TTBurnett said...

Sixty Grit: Surely you exaggerate.

The Dude said...

Not really - if have have read Titus' droppings for as long as I have you know that, if anything, I am underplaying his total lack of boundaries, his illiteracy, his sexual confusion and his oft-stated claims that he fondles his mother. He is not a well person.

chickelit said...

I see what you did there Troop. With a slight bit of retouch, that photo of you could resemble one of those "Rembrance" self portraits.

chickelit said...

You are like a Dutch Master when it comes to portraiture.

chickelit said...

@deborah: I've missed your upside-down reindeer around these parts.

MamaM said...

A Master-full observation, Chickelit!

The TY was ahead of the curve on the heaven/hell controversy too.

chickelit said...

The TY was ahead of the curve on the heaven/hell controversy too.

I guess I missed that.

Trooper York said...

I am always ahead of the curve Mama.

Peter V. Bella said...

You may have found a whole new career as a food critic!!!!!!!

deborah said...

Thx, chick:)

Congrats to Mama for being Top Mama.

MamaM said...

Thank you Deborah. In addition to paddy fingers, there was some stiff competition.