Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Dubious Case of the Disappearing Douchebag.


My dear Holmes.

It is your most humble petitioner, Inspector Lestrade. I must endeavor to inquire if you have given any further thought to the case of the not so recent disappearance of Lord Douchebag. It seems that he continues to be among the missing and absence continues to bedevil the feeble minded set of miscreants that he has long been associated with.

As I had previously noted I had attended several of the salons of the noted conversationalist and dilettante Lady Chatterley when Lord Douchebag was a frequent and much valued guest. In fact it has been told to me that the Lady in question has often referred to him as wonderful. I thought that in the spirit of the current Easter season I would see if I could resurrect this paragon of virtue who sees to have disappeared without a by your leave to his many so called admirer’s.

Lady Chatterley’s circle has had no contact with Lord Douchebag and the shallowness of their regard is such that they have never met face to face or communicated other than by post. They have complete forgotten him as new favorites have appeared to flatter and beguile the populace and their esteemed hostess. Several of the most vociferous correspondents have seemed to have fallen by the wayside as new members have come to the fore. A young chappy who calls himself the “Dose” but who is secretly referred to as the “French Pox” is omnipresent as well as a rather lackadaisical lout who affects the sobriquet of an American Civil war battle such as Appomattox or Manassas or some such frippery. He much resembles Henry Wood from your case of the previous autumn with his disfigured and misshapen countenance matching his most grotesque character and morals. He and the “French Pox” together with others of Lady Chatterley’s circle of fops and toady’s have completely dominated this most unusual salon. It is as if Lord Douchebag had never existed.

Once I again I beg to inquire if you will turn your hand to this most puzzling mystery? If so, perhaps I could drop by Baker Street to compare notes with you. If that is at all convenient please inform Dr. Watson who could pass on word the next time we meet at the club.

I hope all is well with you and Dr. Watson. I am glad that the protests that had been troubling your repose have ended now that the Tory party has come back into power and put the working class in it’s place . Dr. Watson’s work in chronicling this unpleasantness in the Police gazette was much appreciated especially in his photographic essay of the finely turned young ankles of the protesting women from the guild of dressmakers and seamstresses. It is so very fortunate that he revels in the seamy side of life. I trust that you both have a healthy and happy Easter and that I will hear from you soon.


Your obedient servant,
Inspector G. Lestrade
Scotland Yard
February 27, 1896

21 comments:

MamaM said...

Wasn't there a gap before when the legendarily larva went pupal?
(See picture of the cockchafer)

Pupae are inactive, and usually sessile. They have a hard protective coating and often use camouflage to evade potential predators...Pupation may last weeks, months or even years. The pupa may enter dormancy or diapause until the appropriate season for the adult insect

Maybe an adult insect is about to emerge!
One with a stronger, shinier set of chompers.

Deborah M. said...

http://www.life.com/gallery/41862/sexy-stars-bed-bath--beyond#index/0

I saw this and thought of you, Trooper.

The Dude said...

Oh yeah, Red in Bed!

chickelit said...

...a rather lackadaisical lout who affects the sobriquet of an American Civil war battle such as Appomattox or Manassas or some such frippery.

Shiloh, lol

Titus said...

tits

Penny said...

MamaM? Not sure if you have been around here long enough to know the history of our most favored bug, Cock Roach?

He first came to us as a cockroach, poor dear.

And then, with love, we built him UP!

He left Troop's place, shortened his name to "Roach", last I heard.

Given that he had a cock, and was in fact a cockroach by birth, I assume that a goodly number of new jobs this year were created to exterminate our dear one and his offspring.

While that saddens me for his safety, it also gives me HOPE! More jobs!

Anyway, cockroach was as dear a man as you could meet. He was hardworking, and humble.

There is little doubt in my mind that Roach's kids will all grow up to be the same. He will see to that. He is a great dad.

So here is our societal question?

Should we pass laws to slow the proliferation of hardworking cockroaches?

Expert exterminators, who owe their livelihoods to trying to kill our favorite cockroach, say "NO"!

Apartment dwellers, on the other hand, feel quite strongly that enough is enough. They do not need to wake up every morning to any species that is already scurrying when the light goes on!

Sure, some admit that gives them encouragement to work just as hard. To save up to buy a house even, but all in all...apartment people give thumbs down to cockroaches.

So there you have it, my old friend, Roach. It ain't easy being you and yours, and I just wanted you to know that I share your pain and confusion.

Maybe our good friend, Darwin, can help us understand why the hardest workers somehow fall in ill repute?

Penny said...

Oops...I SO digressed there.

So much so that I might have been Troop's wife watching "Game of Thrones".

Poor gal. She finally got him to sit down to pee. And now? He calls it the "Game of fucking Thrones"???

Ha ha Gotta love the big lug!

Penny said...

And, OBTW.

Bissage? If you can see me or hear me on these internets? I haven't forgotten you.

No way you can forget someone who made you laugh first thing in the morning.

MamaM said...

The Missing One in this Case appears to be a different sort of bug. Legendarily loquacious, with a tendency to change names as well as pin them on others.

Similar to the cockchafer, known also as the may bug, billy witch, or spang beetle.

chickelit said...

@deborah: There are some Troop-worthy tub shots in that collection--thanks for sharing!

The one of C4's gal link is a hoot.

Happy Easter Ona and All!

deborah said...

A most puzzling correspondence, but a splendid google image catch.

Penny said...

"The Missing One in this Case appears to be a different sort of bug. Legendarily loquacious, with a tendency to change names as well as pin them on others."

Oh my! A gossip?

MamaM said...

Oh my! A gossip?
The posts for historian, humorist, curmudgeon, and eccentric were already filled.

reader_iam said...

Wait a minute. Someone has hacked Trooper's site! This post canNOT have been written by Trooper:

Fellow sleuths, note that the word "Disappearing" is spelled correctly in the title!

: |>

; )

The Dude said...

Reader iam - you make a very good point. Needs more s's.

TTBurnett said...

Yes, whose REALLY putting up these posts?

Penny said...

Not me, Tim.

I did my "heavy lifting" some time ago.

Care to check out my knees, honey? ;)

chickelit said...

Care to check out my knees, honey?

wv = "ginocchio"

A puppet who has eyes of gin.

MamaM said...

A puppet who has eyes of gin.

A.K.A. Gimlet Eyes?

With the occhio/nocchio rooted in marmocchio, brat or nocchio, meaning a gnarl or knot in wood

More for the Wood That Grows file.

chickelit said...

More for the Wood That Grows file.

A.K.A. Trooper's Burlesque Show!

Trooper York said...

Hey I was drunk when I posted this. I always spell better when I am drunk. Hic....