Thursday, April 14, 2011

Winter is coming!


So one of the few prerogatives as a man that really means anything to me is that I get to control the remote control. And peeing standing up but that's another discussion.

Anywho I have to control the remote because if the wife gets control of it we end up watching some stupid chick movie with Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts or some shit like that there. Now don't get me wrong. Our viewing schedule is heavy with stuff like Justified and Sons of Anarchy and Hard Core Pawn but we watch stuff she likes such as all the Housewife shows and Army Wives and Desperate Housewives and any fucking show with Wives in the title. I watch them cheerfully or at least I try not to snore too loudly. Although last night I started to snore through the Biography channel special about Frank Niti. I have been very tired.

So I have been trying to lay the ground work for the HBO series "Game of Thrones" based on one of George RR Martins novels. It is a very complicated plot and if you have not read the book you have no chance of following it. Which is a problem because the wife is so ADD she has trouble paying attention to the Road Runner cartoons I love to put on. I often have to pause the show to explain who is who and what is what. That was a big pain in the ass in "Boardwalk Empire" and she was interested in that since some people who worked on it shop in the store. So I have careful to try to get her interested in "Game of Thrones."

Now HBO has helped because it has set up a bunch of little snippets explaining the various "houses" and characters and the setting and what not. So we have seen them all and I have explained how they fit into the show. And they took a page out of the current style of Science fiction writers and put up the first 15 minutes of the first show. Sort of like SM Stirling's or Eric Flint printing chapters or snippets of their newest book.

Well we watch the whole thing and it is great. Outstanding photography. Great action. Scary shit with supernatural forces and stuff. Obviously a multi-million dollar production of one of the most popular fantasy series of the last two decades based on a series of best sellars. And after all of that the wife turned to me and said:

"I don't like it. Their hair is too dirty. I can't watch a series where everybody has dirty hair."

6 comments:

Chennaul said...

I was at this jointy base once-let's just say this if they don't show those gals lightin' up cigs at their 10:00 am meetins' it ain't real.

Gawd I hate dudes with remotes-you think your wife has ADD-it's dudes.
They can't stay on one channel for more than ten minutes. The remote equals-well you're the one that mentioned peeing...

Thanks to your wife I'm not going to watch it.

I cant't watch Survivor it got too dirty or somethin' and not in a fun way-just grody.

I want to see guys like that I'll just go drive the kill zone here in Vega.

Trooper York said...

Thats the thing. I don't change the channel. We mostly watch stuff on the DVR but I zip through the commericials. It requires a delicate touch and the wife always goes right past the stopping point and we have to go backwards.

I don't recommend the show unless you are sitting with someone who read the books and can explain it to you. This is one show that really needs a crib sheet to make it comphrensable.

BJM said...

The Missus said "I don't like it. Their hair is too dirty. I can't watch a series where everybody has dirty hair."

Most wimmin can't watch pron with fugly drapes or furniture either. Most men? What drapes?

blake said...

After watching Fatal Attraction:

"Wasn't Ann Archer's Watch great!"

My mom after "Gladiator":

"I loved the doggies! Unleash Hell!"

(In the very first battle scene, there are 2 seconds of war dogs.)

Trooper York said...

The wife is giving me a lot of shit about the "road runner" comment so I might have to print a retraction about that there. Just sayn'

Alcibiades said...

The next episode coming up has a primping spa scene with Daenerys in it - maybe she'll like that.

Though it's true - there was no reason for Ned Stark's hair to look dirty considering that Winterfell has those baths in it.