Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Stupid Court St Festival




They had the Court Street Festival this past Sunday and as usual it was a shit storm. I was lucky enough to have a couple of destination shoppers but I got no business from the street fair. Of course they put someone selling cheap clothing right in front of my store. Now it didn't matter much because it wasn't plus size but it is the principle of the idea. I mean this fuck doesn't pay the rent that I pay but he can set up his pop stand in front of my store and make money.

In the old days it was a lot better when it was a religious festival and the Mafia controlled it. I could have made a call and made sure that there was no clothing on my block. But once fucking Giuliani got in and broke the back of Mob's control of street fairs it went to a fucking bullshit corporation that has the same cheap sunglasses and Iphone cases and 200 count sheets at every street fair. What a waste.

I couldn't even do what I loved to do which is go out and eat from all the stands. No sausage and peppers. No funnel cake. No calzone or zeppoles. No French fries. No grilled corn on cob dipped in butter and salt. No mozzarella grilled cornbread sandwiches. The only thing I got to eat was a piece of escarole pie that my friend Antonio was selling across the street at Monteleone's. My diet is so constricted that I was banned from everything.

So now I really hate the street fair.

9 comments:

ndspinelli said...

"GET OFF MY SIDEWALK, YA' MOOK YA'!"

Aridog said...

Street festivals have all changed it seems, and some are literally suppressed by legal ramification and insurance costs. The local Arab Festival (NOT Muslim festival, mother fuckers...get it right!) a street festival in my neighborhood is done for...first the Christian Evangelists tried to make is about religion, then the Mayor made it about why his police couldn't enforce the law and a pussy judge beat him like the fop he is in court....e.g., rendered a $300,000 judgment to these guys ...note the pigs head on a stick among the grand "Christian" evangelicals. Tell me they were "just" exercising there 1st Amendment rights, eh? Note, not one, not a single one of those "evangelicals" is from within 1000 miles of here.

Hello...the festival was local business oriented and centered, by and for the local businesses, who participated, not some outside mooks who sold gaff crap.

Now our good mayor, spendthrift idiot, wants it to move it to a city park...where he can have the police control outside agitators even less and at higher cost, ...and the local business organization cannot afford the hassle or insurance and restrained local law enforcement. Local law enforcement is very GOOD here if let to do their jobs...not dicked with by a weenie mayor.

Full discloure: I live a block and 1/2 from the usual festival site and have always enjoyed the affair. I am Catholic and the festival has n-e-v-e-r been a Muslim thing, except when shit-heads from outside come to town to agitate in ignorance.

PS: One of the outside agitators I refer to is the Obama/Gen Dempsey troll pseudo-preacher Terry Jones from Florida...a favorite of Gates, Petraeus, and Dempsey form throwing shit on the wall and making it stick.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I loved the Obon Festival in the San Jose area when I was growing up. My best friends in grade school and high school were Japanese and each year we would participate in the festival. Man a booth to help out the Buddhist Church, to which most of the parents (at that time) belonged......and just in general hang out.

It was great fun. And THE FOOD....OMG so awesome. I love Japanese food!!

The festival is STILL awesome and if I were able to, I would be there in July.

Aridog said...

DBQ...I get it and appreciate your memory. However, our local festival is gone now, for good I suspect. Thanks to fop politicians and aggressive pseudo-Christians. Our town has 60+ Christian churches and 7 mosques....but we are still the target of the outsider fucktards.

I promise that I will kick one specific administration favored spin dude in the nuts if I ever find him here again...I will go out of my way to do so. And I do really hope he tries to pull his very obvious concealed pistol on me...oh, yes, please do try that.

chickelit said...

I've seen photos of you in that shirt several times, Troop. I like the stripes -- they remind me of vestment stole. The shirt makes you look like "The Pope Of Court Street."

Thanks for the kind words the other day at Lem's.

chickelit said...

Vestment stole, skinny tie edition (from the 1960's).

Trooper York said...

That's my Tony Soprano look. Lisa loves it and we had a business meeting that night.

I always try to channel Tony when I am talking business.

rcocean said...

I hate those damn street fairs. Its the same old chintzy stuff being sold all the time. Yet, people love them!

As for your diet, at least you can drink water, so there's that.

Paddy O said...

"except when shit-heads from outside come to town to agitate in ignorance."

That pretty much sums up much of religious history, and just about every religious war.

"dicked with by a weenie mayor"

That pretty much sums up the reasons for every other war

Some folks are so insecure they can't allow people to have fun without intruding on it. ME! ME! ME! They make it sound like it's about something else, God, law and order, sex, the original posts, but it just comes down to hating seeing other people get the attention.