Sunday, October 26, 2014

True Yankees



Yankee fans have a dividing line when we talk about players. It is if you are considered a "True Yankee." A real representative of the team who buys into the teams concept and traditions. It's culture if you  will.

A True Yankee usually came up from the farm system but that is not always the case. Some people are easy. Jeter. Pettite. Mariano. Posada. Bernie Williams. Thuman. Whitey. Yogi. The Mick. Joe D.

Others earned it. Paul O'Neil. Babe Ruth. Reggie. David Wells. Don Larsen.

Some people will never be True Yankee no matter how long they are on the team or how good they play. Roger Clemens. Wade Boggs. A-Rod. They are interlopers.

I am not all that familiar with the two teams playing in the series tonight. At least the current compilation. I don't pay attention to the National League and I haven't followed KC because we so seldom play them. So I don't know who is the "True Giant" or "True Royal." Who is the guy who personifies the team. I guess it is the catcher on the Giants. But I am not sure. I would love to hear from fans of those teams. It makes it easier to figure out who to root for. Because to be honest I have very little interest in this series.

6 comments:

Chip S. said...

I'm enjoying this series immensely bc of the style of play. Frankly, a nice change from those interminable Red Sox/Yankees grindfests.

One of the nice things about both teams is that their fans don't seem to obsess about the "trueness" of their players. They just like 'em as individuals, like Kung Fu Panda and The Freak.

Trooper York said...

Well that is the difference between Red Sox and Yankee fans and the rest of the major leagues.

Red Sox and Yankee fans are more alike then we are different.

What is interesting to me is how Red Sox fans don't appreciate Big Papi. I don't get it.

Chip S. said...

I agree that we're diff. from the others. But all Sox fans I know absolutely love Big Papi.

Of course, that's by New England standards, which means they've never booed him as they did Williams and Yaz.

Flinty stock.

Trooper York said...

Well I was listening to a Red Sox radio station on a simulcast with WFAN in New York and they were all down on Big Papi as a top ten Red Sox of all time when he has to be the best player they ever had. In front of Williams or Clemens or Boggs. The dude has the rings.

Chip S. said...

Weird. The top Bosox fan board had a poll that put Ortiz right behind Williams as the greatest Sox hitter ever. Pedro is the only post-Yaz player who may be more beloved.

I think radio shows get a disproportionate share of cranks. Certainly my limited experience listening to them in Boston suggests that.

ndspinelli said...

Several "trues" on both teams. Posey, Sandoval, Cain for SF. Moose, Hosmer, Gordon, Perez, for Royals.