Thursday, May 14, 2015

Remembrance of Things Pabst



Well Tuesday was our day off and you know what that means.

Another doctor appointment. This time in the city at First Avenue and 37th Street.

It seems that like most American Companies NYU Hospital has imported their workers from China. We got hooked up with NYU because we went to the urgent care emergency room where Long Island College Hospital used to be located. They set us up with an appointment with the concussion center because of Lisa having fallen last month. We were to see Doctor Foo and once I saw that was his name I resolved not to fight with him.

The appointment went well but a little long and we go out at around six o'clock which is rush hour. We didn't want to fight the traffic so we decided to treat ourselves and get a bite to eat. Nothing fancy. Not Incognito or the steak place. I can't eat all that rich food and we didn't want to make a big production out of it. It turned out they had an old fashioned Greek diner around the corner in the middle of the block. So we went in and got a nice booth in the window. It was called "The Townhouse Diner."

It was your typical New York Greek Diner. Booths. Some tables. A bunch of old Jews arguing about nothing. Did you ever see the move "Diner" by Barry Levinson? It is set in Baltimore but it depicted diner life really well. A bunch of guys arguing about nonsense. These guys were all in their 70's or 80's and were arguing some nonsense. It seemed like they did it every day. It was background music. I felt at home. I had never been in this joint but I had eaten here many times before. If that makes any sense.

I was really happy because I could get some old fashioned diner food. First we had to whip out our phones and photograph each other. It is a rule you know. Everything in your life has to be documented and put on Facebook and Instagram. Look at this one. It's artistic and shit.

Or autistic or something.

Anyway they had the big plastic menus with all the hundreds of things you can get from omelets to filet of sole. I was starving and we made a deal to go off our diets. Which meant only one thing.

I could get the meatloaf.

Wait a minute! That's not meat loaf! No it is the cup of soup that comes with the meatloaf special. Actually it is a choice between soup or salad but I always go for the soup because I am a soup fanatic. This was nice and spicy. The best was I got to dip a butter slathered dinner roll that they put on the table along with some crackers and bread sticks. That is some good shit right there.

Then it was time for the main event. Meatloaf. Dry slices but with gravy on the side. Man that was tasty.

Of course Lisa had to dip her fries in the gravy. I also ordered my favorite side dishes. Mashed potatoes and corn. I love to put the corn over the potatoes and then ladle on the butter. Plus lots of salt and pepper which I didn't do for health reasons. But this is just about my favorite "American" dinner that my Mom used to make.

Of course Lisa got to cheat with her favorites so she got a BLT and a plate of fries on the side. Good stuff  with our new Mia Bella Dress for the spring!

All in all it was a combination of new and old. New is the photo taking with the Iphones documenting every freaking thing we do. Old is the old school ambience and the food that was homey. Some older people came in and it felt like they ate there almost every day. We had a nice conversation with the waiter and the owner. We fit right in and could be very comfortable eating there. But then we generally fit right in when we go out to eat. 

I only had one real goal. Well two. To relax. And to clean my plate.

Mission accomplished!

4 comments:

ricpic said...

Wow, that is some spotless diner!

Meat loaf. I don't understand ordering anything else in a diner. But you have to go all the way: meat loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, one green veggie (creamed spinach or spinach and mushrooms are good choices) and two giant slices of rye with two pats of butter per slice (in the west, texas toast). It's a ton of food and you really shouldn't eat for the next 18 hours but it's the greatest, done maybe twice a year.

MamaM said...

Did the Foo know his stuff?

Trooper York said...

He did. He is very kind. I was happy at how he treated us.

sheteason said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.