Friday, May 29, 2015

So I am becoming more and more like an 80 year old Italian woman


The wife tells me that I always smell like an 80 year old Italian woman. That is because I am always cooking and often smell like garlic or basil or parsley. When I wake her up in the morning I often smell of the lunch I prepared before I have a chance to shower. She loves to tease me. Now I am giving her even more ammunition.

Like most men I control the remote. So much so that she doesn't even know how to work it. I mean I always ask her what she wants to watch. To which she replies "I don't know." So I have to list what is available and we pick out what we want to veg out too and forget about the stresses of the day.

More and more I am tired of typical television fare. I am tired of serial killers and brutality. Maybe I am just old. I have been favoring simple fare. English stuff. "Call the Midwife." "Mr. Selfridge." "Doc Martin." Even crime dramas like "Broadchurch" that doesn't feature mutilated corpses every episode and over the top bullshit. I mean on the season finale of Hawaii Five O they set off a nuclear bomb for crying out loud.

Now I am hooked on the Hallmark Channel. We first stated watching "Cedar Cove" that starred the Instapundit's wife. Then we stareted following "When Calls the Heart" which is a sappy soap opera about a love story with a Mountie and a schoolteacher. You know what? It is the closest you are going to get to a John Ford movie these days.

We even started watching the Hallmark movies. They all have the same plot with nondescript actors. I mean they might have one old TV star you might recognize as a supporting character. One had Joyce DeWitt from "Three's Company." Another had Tim Conway. What they have in common is a sweet love story with a predictable twist and a happy ending.  Easy to watch. Easy to enjoy. No gore. No corpses. No serial killers.

I swear I am turning into an old woman.

9 comments:

Trooper York said...

Not to say I don't like shows with a lot of sex. Just not so much gratuitous violence and gore.

windbag said...

I googled "mountie" and "schoolteacher." You wouldn't believe the videos that brought up.

Seriously, though, whether it's television, movies, or books, it's wonderful to read the deep, meaningful stuff, but bottom line is it's entertainment. If something entertains you, it's done its job. My wife just plowed through "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy. She's glad she read it, but had to force herself to finish it. I enjoyed most of Nick Hornby's books, but it took me months to get through "Fever Pitch," his first novel.

I don't apologize for any of my choices in entertainment. Snobs love to make others feel bad about their musical or literary preferences, but screw them.

Trooper York said...

I am not appolgizing. I am just amused.

I mean youse guys know I love all the old show from the 1960's. Plus Westerns. So I feel at home watching this instead of "Dexter" or "Hannibal" or even "Game of Thrones."

I just think these sappy shows are a good fit for where I am right now.

ricpic said...

"Not to say I don't like shows with a lot of sex."

Even the sex is too hyper. Too wham bam. When was the last time you saw a slow seduction. On TV that is. Plus, what's with the females always climbing on top? That's all I got.

rcocean said...

"Plus, what's with the females always climbing on top? That's all I got."

More boobage that way. Plus its easier on the actors.

rcocean said...

Never been a fan of serial killers. I find it creepy that so many people seem so fascinated by them. I wonder if a lot of people secretly admire them or want to be them.

Which creeps me out even more.

However, I've been watching GoT, which doesn't bother me at all.

Trooper York said...

I read the books which I enjoyed but the series I can take or leave. The wife gets grossed out. Plus I have to freeze it every five minutes to explain what is going on.

The Hallmark stuff is easier. Girl. Mountie. Horse. One gets on top of the other. Easy to figure out.

windbag said...

Kongar-ol Ondar, Tuvan throat singer, with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. (Kongar-ol passed away a year or two back.) From what I understand, this song is a Tuvan folk song, the gist of which is that a good woman is like a good horse, you can ride both all night long. For some reason, I thought of this song just now.

Video here.

blake said...

It seems to me that I'm just not a TV guy. I just can't sustain interest long enough to care.