Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Remembrance of things Pabst

So Tuesday is our day off and that means doctors day. We went to the allergist on Clinton Street and that means we get to go to Theresa's Polish Restaurant.

I meant to take a photo of our meal but I was so hungry I gobbled down my burger before I remember to take a shot. The only thing left was the side order of pirogies. Man that was good. With sautéed onions and sour cream. The burger was excellent with mozzarella, fried onions and mushrooms. A real treat for a heart patient like me. A once a month thing.

It was beautiful out so we decided to walk. We always make a day of it Instead of going to the Promenade we made it a busman's holiday and went shopping at some of the local boutiques.

We went to our friend Tony's wide width shoe store on Montague St. Now we are very friendly with Tony. He loves Lisa. We always send him clients since our plus size customers often need wide width shoes and drop a lot of money. Plus we featured his store on our show. So he always gives us the shoes at cost.

The downside is that he is an old school communist who is always ranting left wing propaganda at me. I never say anything because I don't want to harsh the mellow and get in an argument. I just turn the talk to how hard it is to get employees and he goes off on a tangent.

I will do a lot to get wholesale prices.

We continued wandering down Clinton St and came to a store I often looked at and never went in. Two for the Pot is a store that sells tea and coffee and all the things that go along with it. It is a cute little shop even though it looks like it is run by hoarders. It is pretty dusty and I think some of the stuff expired in 1957 but what are you gonna do.



We started by buying a new tea pot. Actually a tea infuser where you put the loose tea in and brew it like coffee. That was pretty cool. I plan to brew up a pot of tea at the end of the night and say "Baby is coming." So to speak.

Since  we can't drink anymore we need to enjoy simple pleasures. We got a couple of loose teas to try and so far it is pretty good.

We also picked up a French Press to brew coffee. We always wanted to get one so we figured why not give the local guy some business. He was very nice and gave us a fellow merchants discount which is always nice. We picked up some fresh ground coffee to use in the morning when we are getting ready for work.

Fresh coffee in the morning. A nice cuppa at night. Simple pleasures.

They are the best.

12 comments:

Michael Haz said...

That sounds like a perfect day! Nice weather, a pleasant walk, some shopping, a good lunch, enjoying the City for its many virtues. Good for both of you. A day like that once each week is therapeutic.

Trooper York said...

Thanks Haz. I think so.

We are so busy we need some downtime. This forces us to be out and about instead of sleeping the day away.

Trooper York said...

We are pretty exhausted these days. One rolls into another. The competition is fierce and everybody wants to get paid.

We are trying some creative ways to get ahead.

Trooper York said...

I will admit that this is the best type of weather that you get in New York.

Steg said...

Ugh, French Press. Too much work for me. I am a lazy drip machine guy. Except for camping, then the FP comes out. Although maybe I should just get a good stove-top brewer. Good for home and camping. My last awesome stove-top coffee pot was a nice glass, maybe a Pyrex? I forget. I fished it out of my neighbor's dumpster as he was cleaning house. A real hoarder(he needs twelve more dumpsters to finish, and shows no signs of doing it). I could not let that glass go to trash... It has since been broken now for several years, after which it was back to the drip.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Good to hear you are in good health Troops.

MamaM said...

Getting out and away from the place where six days of work takes place can be a very good thing. Our elder son who works 50-60 hour week on the road supervising electrical installations, found he needs to physically leave home base for at least one morning or afternoon a week in order to get the distance and perspective needed to relax and recharge. Alcohol is the antidote others on the crew turn to, which doesn't happen to work for him.

The other piece of the puzzle is sleep. Bodies that would sleep the day away if they stayed home are sending a message regarding a need for ZZZ's that has more to do with health than sloth.

Trooper York said...

It is true that we are very tired.

It doesn't seem like we are going to get any downtime soon.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Agree with MamaM about separating work from home. Lower the stress level.

For a brief moment between offices, I had my practice at home. I had a home office where I would meet with my select clients...but it was at my house. That meant that I could never get away from the office and NEVER get away from the housework. It was HORRIBLE....omnipresent.

It tears you in two and you can't get way from it.

When I retired and took over my husband's office functions/bookwork/billing/inventory etc. I insisted that we have a separate office in the shop building. NOT in the house. It is in a 1400 sq ft building....upstairs above the work area. I have my old cherry wood office furniture, leather chairs, decorations, art deco pottery, prints. It is carpeted and I have a kick ass stereo/cd changer along with my Ipod music. We have a wet bar upstairs and comfy furniture when we are not doing business.

Not only is it a work space it is MY space. A place that I enjoy being......and it isn't in our home.

Because it is separate from our home.....and I make myself have a "work schedule" of hours that I MUST be at work, I no longer have the feeling that work is eating up our personal life. That trapped between two worlds feeling is gone.

Separate your work from your life. Lower the stress.

We also turn off the phone at 7pm. We are not on call 24/7. Leave a message, we will get back to you after breakfast.

rcocean said...

Used to love the French Press. The coffee tasted much better than the usual coffe maker stuff.

However, had to cut way down on caffine, and the decaf stuff is so bland even the French press doesn't help.

Trooper York said...

The guy in the shop said it would taste better but the only problem is that it would not be as hot. That if you put milk in it then it will really not be hot.

We have to experiment a bit.

ricpic said...

How is the French Press work?! I love the French Press and would never go back to any other method. Put the grounds in the bottom, pour in boiling water, press down. That's work?