Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Life is not fair.


So last night we are watching this cool new show called "Men of a Certain Age."

It stars Ray Romano and Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula as three middle aged guys. So we are watching it and Andre Braugher looks paticularly pitiful as he displays his big gut and man boobs. In this episode he is selling cars and everyone is coming in to talk to him and they all ask for the "Fat Guy." It was funny to see how they were struggling to hike and even to get out of chairs. My wife turned to me and said "Wow those guys got really old." I said to her "You know what's sick shit?""No what?" "They are all three years younger than me. So don't make fun of me when I spring a leak sitting in my easy chair."

I guess I am at that certain age.

7 comments:

Michael Haz said...

Andre Braugher is a very good actor. His brief stint on House as House's psychiatrist was nothing short of brilliant.

It's about time someone did a series about regular middle-age men. Not a series where Dad is the stupid ass who is the butt of everyone's jokes.

And not a series about a super-buff wealthy dude who dates twenty year olds.

A series about regular guys who work hard and give most of what they earn to the other people in their lives. And having to recognize that sometimes things don't turn out who they were planned.

That tired me out. I need to rest now.

Michael Haz said...

how, not who

dbp said...

Drat! I watched that show last week, but forgot it was on this week and also neglected to set the DVR.

">The New Yorkerdid a nice review of it, which is where I heard of it since I don't watch anything else on TNT.

blake said...

So...good show?

Trooper York said...

The last show was paticularly good.

A recurring theme is the humilation of Andre Braugher as he works for his father in a used car lot that the father owns. His dad trades him down to a tiny car and his wife goes in to yell at the father who is one arrogant prick. Or as the wife describes him an "dick hole" which is a combination of a dick and an asshole.

Ray Romano has a thing with his son who is starting to show some of the tics and foibles he has and he is worried that his son got them from him. As though he could control it.

The story lines with the Quantum Leap guy wasn't all that interesting. Too cliched.

But two out of three good storylines is a damn good average.

Trooper York said...

Plus the sight of Andre Braughers moobs are enough to make you go on a diet.

Well after the New Year of course.

Penny said...

Personally, I think this will be a show with a slow "burn" factor.

Watched the premier episode and was disappointed, yet oddly, I tuned in the following week for more.

And cripes, there's an out-of-shape, Andre Braugher in his skivies, and Ray Romano wondering if he should have passed on his genes. If that's not enough, we got Scott Bakula FINALLY realizing that his dreams and his looks peaked fifteen years ago.

The show has all the makings of a big time, Boomer hit. "See, see! He's worse *off* than me!"

Well, that. And heck. There's just so MANY of us.