Sunday, December 20, 2009

You pay you money and you take your choice even if they don't pay the money.


So it is really slow because of the big snowstorm we had yesterday. I mean it wasn't all that big a storm compared to what you get in nasty places like Wisconsin and Minnesota but for NYC it was pretty bad. And it had to fall on the last weekend before Christmas to mess up our shopping season. I mean the economy is soft enough without putting any impediments in the way to give people a reason not to shop.


After church I made the breakfast and then got to the store to see what is happening. The guy my landlord hired had already shoveled. Thank God because I am just not up to it. I slipped him a couple of extra bucks to redo it and put down a shitpot more salt so it won't be slippery. I have the store open and people are actually out because basally all of the sidewalks are clear. But there is one big problem.


You see we get a lot of lookie-loos. They come in because they are attracted by my wife's sensibility and sense of style. But then they realize that we start at size 10. Oftentimes they buy accessories and stuff because I feel we have the best jewelry and handbags on Court St. But with the snow they all track wet footprints all over the store. Now you don't care if they are going to buy something. But if they just walk in, make comments (some of them nasty) and then walk out it is enough to make you want to get really pissed. I have to follow them with the mop to clean up the water and salt they are dragging all over the floor. Cinderella's work is never done.


Oh well. There is one bright spot. Our company Christmas party was tonight at the wine and cheese but everybody is canceling on me. So I save on that one. You have to find the silver lining.

5 comments:

Jason (the commenter) said...

Our company Christmas party was tonight at the wine and cheese but everybody is canceling on me.

They canceled our Christmas party because we have so much work today, which is a big improvement over the last place I worked. Now I'm sitting on a bunch of banana bread (good stuff with blueberries and coconut), which I'll be eating for breakfast all week. I should have said I would bring cheese!

Ron said...

Hey Man...if I don't say it elsewhere, have a nice holiday, family and all.

Ron

Penny said...

We got close to two feet here. I didn't need to go anywhere, so I was free to watch how this record breaking snow impacted things around here.

It was different.

* WAY more township plowing than you would expect to see during a weekend snow.

* All my younger neighbors had snow blowers, and they used them all through the day Saturday. Two to make room for holiday guests who didn't let a TON of snow get in the way of seasonal partying.

* There was WAY more traffic than usual on both Saturday and Sunday. Church or Christmas shopping? I have my guess.

* There were NO able bodied young kids coming to my door to see if they could make a few extra bucks shoveling. This was a first, for the first snow of the year. Usually there are non-stop knocks on the door. Course the first snow of the year isn't usually so taxing.

I HATE snow, and I HATE the Christmas season, but I sure love learning a helluva lot in a short period of time.

Penny said...

I'll let you know if anyone dares to have either a snow day or a late start in our schools tomorrow.

Michael Haz said...

You guys back east had a nice snowfall, but it really wasn't a biggie. Nah. We midwesterners routinely deal with bigger snowfalls that your little dusting.

For example, when my daughter went to grad school at Michigan Tech in Houghton, the average annual snowfall usually totaled >300 inches.

And that was nothing compared to the 5'-6" snowfall (from one storm)in Valdez last week. Schools opened 2 hours late.