Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A mere bag of shells!



We are perfectly fine and thank all you for your best wishes.

The problem with this storm was the high winds and the flooding because of the combination of a full moon and rising tides. Most of the coastal areas were hit hard. Red Hook which is pretty close got some flooding. What is funny is that the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel got most of the run off from Red Hook.

Carroll Gardens is much higher ground than most of the rest of Brooklyn. In fact during the Battle of Brooklyn, General Washington set  up his army here on the higher ground as he prepared to meet the British. So when they told people to go to higher ground they mean to come to where we are.

We spent the day cleaning the house. Mopping. Dusting. Vacuuming. It was hell.

Just as I had finished making dinner and we sat in front of the TV.....the cable went out. As did the Internet which just came on this morning. So I am able to get back on the net.

Most of the family did just great. The mother in law lost power on Long Island but that is because most of the Island has the power lines above ground so that happens all the time. Lisa's sister on Staten Island lost power too for the same reason. Her brother has a big estate in Jersey and all of his trees blew down but he only lost power and he is fine. One of her cousins lost their house on Breezy Point but nobody was there thank God.

And the Seatuck House is just fine. I was worried about it as it is right on the water and when we were there a couple of weeks ago the winds were crazy. But that house is a tank. They had some flooding in the basement just a few inches. But they did fine.

So now we have to dig out and repair the damages. We were going to be closed on Halloween anyway so we weren't going to be making any money this week anyway. No subways will mean that business will be really, really slow. Or you never know. Sometimes when you least expect it is when people come in. There is still the on-line store which I hope does some business. Of course I don't know when UPS will start up again. So we are taking a couple of days off.

Oh shit. She is waving the mop at me again.

30 comments:

chickelit said...

I'm worried about Stonehenge at Seatuck.

Chip S. said...

Hooray! Trooper & family are fine and have internet access!

Trooper York said...

Stonehedge is fine.

It is amazing that we were so lucky.

In the middle of the storm we texted the inn keeper and told her to meet the train because we were coming out for the weekend.

She laughed her ass off.

Roger J. said...

Troop: glad to hear you are OK--best wishes in surviving the hurricane.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Good!! You guys are back. Sorry to hear about your cousin's loss of a house. At least it was just a house and not a life.

Trooper York said...

We are fine. It is almost like a snow day.

Carroll Gardens is one of the best parts of the city to ride out a storm.

Thank youse guys for your concern.

Michael Haz said...

Great news! So glad you are safe and well.

And what does "waving the mop at me" mean? Yesterday is was "mopped the floor all day", wasn't it?

Hey, good for you. Nudge nudge wink wink.

MamaM said...

UPS has been sending me "brown bulletins" regarding "impacted service", stating all bets are off when it comes to safe and timely delivery.

Which brings Titus and his blowing tuba to mind.

ricpic said...

I had a twinge of regret about my snarky batten down the hatches post but in the back of my mind was the fact that most of northern Brooklyn rises quickly from the waterfront. But DUMBO must be in trouble, Red Hook too. Lower Manhattan looks worst of all. No power for all those people for three or four days. Yikes.

chickelit said...

mop maven
wop wavin'
TOP craven
storm haven
red raven
shop slavin'
deep graven
clean shaven
road pavin'

chickelit said...

Kein Strom nach dem Sturm

chickelit said...

Sturm und Drang,
Strom und Licht,
Nach der Flut, Mittbestimmung!

windbag said...

Glad you're okay.

About that laughing my ass off stuff, I don't really get that. I had an uncle who used to lose his partial when he laughed, but I don't recall his ass ever hitting the floor. Huh.

blake said...

Glad to hear you made it through.

Don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes and what-not.

I just feel like we're gonna get an earthquake here now. Or--hey, we can flood too.

Just get that feeling we're due.

Michael Haz said...

Zombies, Blake, zombies.

chickelit said...

@blake: Oceanside's nearest fault lines are all west (offshore tsunami) or east (the San Andreas out in the desert).

Where are your closest ones?

blake said...

Dude, we abut Northridge.

And recall that the Northridge fault was not known until '94.

chickelit said...

Of course it's always a crapshoot when the earthquake maps show activity away from a fault line: link

Titus said...

My sister's used to call me Sandy Duncan when I was 4-Sandy has deep personal issues for me.

tits.

Titus said...

They also called me Sarah Lee .

Devastating-any time I see Sarah Lee baked items in the grocery I pause and shed a tear.

Group Hug.

Thank you,

tits.

chickelit said...

Wisconsin appears to be one of the few states to have never had a significant earthquake. link

Titus said...

Even when Ricpic mentioned he was stocking up on Sarah Lee I gasped, and put my hand to my mouth and then above my brow.

tits.

The Dude said...

Hey, CL, your whorls become moire when they are shown here. Better than a bete noire, I suppose.

Or is it?

Titus said...

I just saw an extra large condom with a long pube attached to it floating from the rain remnants of Sandy.

As an expert on exotic hog I was able to identify the pube as either Sri Lakan or Armenian.

Thomas Petterfly ads are running non stop here-they would be better if he didn't have an accent. He sounds like George Soros.

thank you.
and
tits.

AllenS said...

I'm glad everyone is ok.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Glad to hear you and your family are good!

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Titus--nature or nurture?

Michael Haz said...

Trooper, may we have a status update?

rcocean said...

Glad you're safe, from watching some news report I thought all of NYC was underwater.

Peter Hoh said...

Good to hear that you made it through the storm.