Friday, October 5, 2012

The Dubious Case of the Disappearing Douchebag




My dear Holmes,

It is your most humble petitioner, Inspector Lestrade. It has been some time since I have stopped requesting you assistance in the troubling matter of the disappearance of Lord Douchebag which you might not recall as it happened several years ago. That curious case had dragged on and on but is now considered dead. It seems to have escaped the notice of so many who at one time claimed the deepest interest and concern, but who have gone on as though nothing had happened. It is as though Lord Douchebag never existed. However  now it seems that new developments lead me to believe that we must concentrate on more immediate concerns.

As I had previously noted in one of  my prior missives, I or my agents had at one time or another have attended many of the salons of the noted conversationalist and dilettante Lady Chatterley where Lord Douchebag was a frequent and much valued guest. In fact it has been told to me that the Lady in question has often referred to him as wonderful. What is most striking is that his name has not passed the lips of any of the many participants for lo these many months and it is as if he never existed. He is never referred to or referenced in any way which is passing strange since so many professed an acute admiration for his talents such as they were. .

Inspector Gregson had informally visited the salon over the past year to see if he might develop some leads. Or at least that was his stated purpose. In actual fact he had continued his visits because of some strange friendships he had struck up with some of the rather scruffy denizens of this talking shop. He first struck up a deep and abiding friendship with a young follower of Lady Chatterley who shared his interests in exotic spaniels, sodomy, coprophilia and defecation. They both reveled in their shared interests and exchanged many secrets and even some bodily fluids. But as you now know his new friend had spurned him due to his burgeoning relationship with a Sepoy who had recently been detailed to Devonshire from his regiment in Delhi. This has led to some violent disagreements and words of rancor that are most unseemly for a professional of Inspector Gregson sterling character. As I had previously noted in my various missives to you Inspector Gregson has fallen into a deep well of melancholia to the point that he refuses to leave his apartment when not attending to his duties and listens to show tunes on his gramophone while imbibe large quantities of sherry. He has been purchases large numbers of bananas and cucumbers which I must presume have become the staples of his diet. There also has been some talk of more exotic fruits and vegetables  such as misshapen and deformed rutabaga's and the occasional woody yucca tuber that defy description. It seems most unhealthy but I do not question him because I subsist on a steady diet of shepherd's pie and porter.

Inspector Gregson did report that the salon of Lady Chatterley has utterly changed character in the recent months. It seems that there is an entirely new group of sycophants and toadies as well as several women of dubious character. One harpy in particular has proven to be a thorn in the side of most of the other more genteel denizens of this group of lonely and dim conversationalists. She constantly  turns the conversation back to herself and her concerns while trying to start contretemps  and controversies that would have various groups bicker and joust while she sits back with a Cheshire grim gloating on her trouble-making. Every topic must refer back to her as she has an insatiable appetite for attention and an unerring path to victim-hood and drama. It seems that she has assumed the role of Douchebag without the benefit of the sobriquet.

It is past understanding why Lady Chatterley does not protest as this is her own recognized modus operandi and you cannot have two actors performing the same role. Perhaps her attention has been draw to other quarters or she may finally have fallen into the dementia which lurks so close to the surface in all of her attempts at social intercourse.

Further visits to this salon would not prove salubrious to ones mental health if the example of Inspector Gregson is indeed meant to be a caution to us all. But the Yard feels that such a group of knaves and malcontents should remain under a loose surveillance to insure that they do not constitute a real danger to her Majesty's government. In fact the harlot who I have previously mentioned is of Germanic origin and might have ties to the government of the Kaiser as witnessed by her fondness for gutter talk and her aversion to the Jews. The recent messages found on the wall in Whitechapel during the recent series of murders has led to a directive that all such Anti-Semitic activity be monitored by the proper authority.

I hope all is well with you and Doctor Watson and wish that you convey my best wishes to your estimable brother Mycroft. I would note that I was surprised to see that he is a sometimes visitor to Lady Chatterley's salon and has in fact interacted with the aforementioned Germanic strumpet in the most contentious of ways. It was my understanding that Mycroft was a confirmed bachelor whose taste ran more to male companionship. His friendship and charity to the lower classes is legendary and there is not a street lascar or urchin that he has not offered succor. So to speak.

In any event give him my regards.

I remain as always,
Your obedient servant,
Inspector G. Lestrade
Scotland Yard
October 19, 1899

31 comments:

chickelit said...

It is past understanding why Lady Chatterley does not protest as this is her own recognized modus operandi and you cannot have two actors performing the same role.

As a former student of Pauli's Principle, I must say this strikes me most troublesome.

This appears to have come to a head as AllenS remarked elsewhere.

The Dude said...

Link or it is just so much spin. Femions indeed!

chickelit said...

Inga-Godda-Divid-Us!

Trooper York said...

Inga-Godda-Divide-Us.

Hee. Good one.

ricpic said...

Thank God I don't have any idea (okay, I do have a partial and vague idea but hardly any focus) on/of what's going on.

But Sheperd's Pie is good. That I know.

Did Pauli really call Einstein's bluff as alleged yesterday by the scientifically literate chick? Asked by someone who will never know what E=MC2 means.

Titus said...

I will admit that I have visited this lost soul in many trips to Maine.

That is all I will divulge.

So sue me.

We are friends.

Friends, I say.

Does that mean anything to you people?

tits.

MamaM said...

Social Intercourse is fraught with peril. The Good old Urban Dic, says it best: In order to engage in Social Intercourse, one must consider the other individual to be significant

Titus said...

mamam, you only wish and dream that I would grace you with my presence in whatever part of the country you live in. Where do you live by the way? I am guessing middle of the U.S. and not fab...but I am ok with that and willing to travel.

I promise to not do any Alinsky shit because I have no idea or concept what it means.

Just you, me, the rare clumber, natch and some good eats.

And after that we will see where the chips (and my large shaved erect hog) will fall

I am up for anything girl...but please no Alinsky quotes or politics because you will completely lose me.

So what I am saying is stop the quotes from some freak I have no idea who you are talking about. I know whomever this Alinksy thing has importance with conservatives but lets drop him and the labels and just hang and see if we can connect...and maybe consummate something.

If you enjoy a large shaved hog that is always hard I am your man girl.

tits

MamaM said...

Ah, Titus. I'm sure you are a fine man girl, but consummation with me is not possible at this time. I'm still in mourning. Having given my heart to a dog who died too soon, I'm not prepared to reach out and love another, regardless of how rare, hard, large or shaved they might be. In addition to the other animals that surround and guard me on my less than fab but fine acreage, I've a UPS man who pants at the door and blows his horn when he rumbles past my portal. Also a Pizza guy who sighs whenever he delivers and wishes he could move in. But my sagging tits belong to MrM, a furred but fun sort who loves to hang with them and talk about everything from Alinsky to Zephers. "When I'm with you, I'm home", he says. It doesn't get more fab than that.

Titus said...

Don't sell your tits short Mamam.

Referring to them as saggy is belittling yourself.

tits.

MamaM said...

Sagging and saggy are two different deals, Titus.

Chip S. said...

Lestrade should get to work finding another missing commenter. Anyone seen our own Irene Adler lately? I'm worried, as Detroit seems like a dangerous place.

chickelit said...

Meinst Du Darchen, Chip?

Chip S. said...

Ja, in der Tat.

The Dude said...

La bohème è meraviglioso!

Chip S. said...

Cela peut provoquer un scandale.

The Dude said...

Non! Il suffit de dire!

chickelit said...

Allow me to translate the foregoing for the linguistically challenged:

chickelit said...
Meinst Du Darchen, Chip?

Do you mind Darcy, Chip?

Chip S. said...

Ja, in der Tat.

Yes, I do in fact

Sixty Grit said...

La bohème è meraviglioso!

Your bon "homo-ness" is marvelous!

Chip S. lisped:
Cela peut provoquer un scandale.

That could provoke a scandal [if they knew about our bon homo-ness]

Sixty covers:

Non! Il suffit de dire!

No, I'll suffer for you, dear!

MamaM said...

To an eye unaided by Google Translate it started to look more like this:

"Miss you the Darcy, Chip?"

"Yes, in the Tat"
In the Flesh? Another word for Tit??? Oh Noes! Not even ChipS would be so indirectly crass. (Furiously employs detection devices) Ah... much better,
"Yes, indeed, I do."

"She's a magical and marvelous bohemian!"
Well, that's nice. Isn't La boheme an opera? Doesn't Sixty like Opera? Maybe that's it. No, no, I'm still missing something. What's the next thing said?

"The final peut provokes a scandal?"

What's a peut? Pout? Payout? Neither work. Ahhh...it's the long version of "This could provoke a scandal." Now What????
Back to La Boheme. "Chi puo non confondere nel delicato profilo di una sola donna quelli di Mimì e di Francine?" ("Who cannot confuse in the delicate profile of one woman the personality both of Mimì and of Francine?") I like that.
What does Sixty say next?

"Oh No! This cannot be, I'll stake my life on it.!!"

Thankfully, chickelit's attention to accuracy and detail helped bridge the gap.

Chip S. said...

Un Scandale en Bohême

MamaM said...

Looks like purloined letters can easily lead one astray.

MamaM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MamaM said...

It's SixtyG and the unmarked bowls of stuff he throws in the mix that put me off the scent. I didn't know graphs had knees either.

The Dude said...

They DO! You are sitting around talking about your favorite Christmas carols for instance. Then someone says the titles are dirty. Then someone says "I KNOW! Take 'O Come All Ye Faithful' for example."

That's the knee of that graph. The hockey stick. In this case it's headed downwards, that conversations is never to be recovered.

Unlike my furniture.

"Non! Il suffit de dire!" - I was trying to say "Just sayin'" in French. While my French is rusty, I did get to use some French today - usually people who are trying to "tawk amongst themselves" while discussing my products use Spanish, but today it was French. Which, for whatever reason, I understood. In retrospect I am thinking they were from Quebec - I mean they didn't say "Eh" but they didn't have a strong accent, either.

Anyway, yeah, my prices are plus gran, but what with the greenback being on par with whatever they use for money up there, a guy has to do what a guy has to do, am I right? I can understand French, just can't speak it much. Need practice.

WRT opera, What's not to love?

chickelit said...

That's the knee of that graph. The hockey stick. In this case it's headed downwards, that conversations is never to be recovered.

Genuine inflection

ricpic said...

Sixty, are your "products" furniture? Just curious.

ricpic said...

Oops, I asked before reading your comment carefully. Sorry. Can we access pictures of your furniture?

ricpic said...

Just saying in french is shoost sayeeng.

The Dude said...

Some of them are, Ricpic. All of them might be, but not necessarily for grown ups.

@CL - I prefer genuine Naugahyde.

As a pet owner I have been trying to develop a line of furniture that pets cannot damage - I am thinking cast iron frames with removable pillows and cushions that are covered with the material used on Kong brand chew resistant dog beds. Stylish and unchewable.

Sure the market is limited, but if I price it right - jack pot!

chickelit said...

@Trooper York: I just wanted to make a serious comment and say how much I appreciate this particular series and what must go into it.

Trooper York said...

Thanks chick.

I like it too.

I have always been a big Sherlock Holmes fan ever since I was a kid.

There is a whole series of books about Inspector Lestrade that I took as inspiration.

It is like writing about Kojack from the point of view of Crocker or something.