Thursday, December 26, 2013

Goodbye Uncle V

My Uncle V passed away on Christmas Eve. He has been very sick the past ten years. He had Alzheimer's and did not recognize anyone for the last few years.

He was a life long bachelor. I think women scared him. Think of "Marty" from the 1950's movie starring Ernst Borgnine. He spent his time with all of his nieces and nephews. He took us to the gym. Took us fishing out to the Long Island Sound. Took us to the racetrack and taught us how to bet an exacta.

He was a longshoreman his whole life. He worked on the docks and went through all of the stuff you saw in "On the Waterfront." Many of his stories will make it into some of my writing as I try to put stuff in words that have been bouncing around in my head.

He lived with his Mom in the house that my Dad bought. He took care of her for ten years while she had Alzheimer's. My mother helped him as they cared for her at home.

I will miss him every day. The wake is tomorrow and the funeral is on Saturday.

7 comments:

The Dude said...

Sorry for your loss, Troop.

I too have fished on LI sound, with my now ex-, now-late father in law.

Remember the good times.

Trooper York said...

Yes that is what I will do.

The problem is all the people who will show up at the wake and start trouble.

I will just go and pray for my uncle. Leave the rest alone.

I am eliminating the crazy as much as I can.

ndspinelli said...

Families are all fucked up to varying degrees. My prayers are for you and those who loved your uncle. He is well taken care of now.

windbag said...

Eliminate the crazy...good plan. I'm sorry for your loss.

Cody Jarrett said...

Sorry, Troop. Bing sang that didn't he? Eliminate the negative. The answers been there all along.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I am sorry for your loss Troop. May he RIP.

Michael Haz said...

I'm sorry for your loss Trooper. Losing a good uncle is nearly as bad as losing your father.