Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sunday is a tough day when you don't go to Church.


I have been very sad that I haven't been able to go to church since I got back from the hospital. Even though Father Chris called me up and told me not to worry about it and to get better first. The wife doesn't let me out of her sight and she doesn't want me to have to deal with everything if I went. I mean everyone would come up to me and give me best wishes which is great but kind of overwhelming. Plus all the kneeling and singing and stuff.

Still I really miss it. I am able to get Communion as one of the ministers comes by to give it to me and drop off the bulletin and the Tablet. And many of the members stop by the store to ask about me or stop me if they see me toddling around in the street. And Father Chris is always checking on me. So I still feel connected.

But I really miss going to pray and hear the stories every Sunday. I have done it almost every Sunday of my life. I think it is vital to a healthy lifestyle. You need to take some time to reflect on your life. Listen we all screw up. We can be selfish. Arrogant. Stupid. Mean. But we can still realize that we can do better. That we can try to be better. Even if we fail miserably in the week past there is hope for the week to come.

I do think the some people who don't have religion just don't relate to the world the right way. That is why I get along much better with religious Muslims like the car service guys like Omar or Hussan than I do with the likes of Alcohol Annie and Leisure Suit Larry or the Crack Emcee. I think I could relate better to somebody who is a Scientologist or Amish.

Ultimately they are just sad bitter people. Life is too short. I mean it is good clean dirty fun to poke them with a stick and I loved to do it. So I don't criticize anyone who wants to do that. I know it is a lot of fun. So have at em.

I know some say my sense of humor is such that it is hypocritical when I talk about religion. Which is ok. They just don't get it. You are not all of a piece. A rough guy who does bad things or says bad things can still be religious. He can just be weak and fallible. Wrong often. Imperfect. Human.

We are all products of original sin after all.

12 comments:

Trooper York said...

Just as soon as I post this...Leisure Suit Larry decides to address me at Lem's joint.

It's like that old Italian proverb.

You mention the devil and then he appears.

Michael Haz said...

Very nice post, Trooper. Easy to see how heartfelt it is.

LSL is just a yapping schnauzer.

MamaM said...

The thing is, the people you've described do ascribe to a set of beliefs that come close to religion, depending on definition. When there is no consideration of what constitutes Light or Love, no regard for a Higher Power other than self, it's hard to get organized.

Even those who do get organized end up with difficulty. Rules bind yet personal responsibility and accountability are what keep freedom from turning into chaos.

I recently found a simple description that fits my experience, recounted in the Story of the Prodigal Son, which describes a Box which restricts, a Circus which indulges and the Invitation to a path of awareness in between that constitutes Journey, where freedom and regard are daily walked out in something resembling balance.

Trooper York said...

You make a good point MamaM. Of course I believe that the religion I follow is the true one. So everyone else is sadly in error. Be they Protestant or Jew or Mussleman or Scientologist it does not matter.

I feel that they are worthy of respect if they follow the tenents of their faith. I would no more restrict them than I would want them to restrict me.

My understanding of the Constitution leads me to that path.

It is the people without any faith or scruples that cause me to recoil. Unclean!

Trooper York said...

I notice another epic Sunday night meltdown is in progress. Closing comments. Posts bashing men. Posts praising house husbands. Failing in the comments and direct attack on commenters.

As Yogi said it is deja vu all over again.

Trooper York said...

It is almost as bad in Madison as it is in the Giants huddle.

Almost.

blake said...

You don't get it, Troop: You're a direct offense on those who feel that they are "spiritual" but not "religious".

The truth of the matter is that nobody gives a rat's ass if you're "spiritual". Be "spiritual" all day long and what does it matter to anyone else?

But religion is a force. Religion can tell you you're wrong. It can tell you how to be right, too, but in order to get that, you have to first admit to being wrong, and who wants to do that?

It's also a force for society. You know what never gets mentioned on these Civil Rights days like MLK day or the anniversary of the "I Have A Dream" speech? The fact that it was REVEREND Dr. MLK, and that freedom for blacks was born and bred in the Church.

The State is just a subversive god, jealous enough to put the Old Testament Yawveh to shame. So it and its agents undermine its competition at every turn.

The fact that a reprobate like yourself goes to church, seeks and finds forgiveness, week after week, finds community and value in such an archaic institution—well, it's just a huge slap in the face to the Church of Secular Humanism.

Which, for lack of a better word, is awesome.

Michael Haz said...

@Blake - Dude, that was terrific, and right on point. Well said!

AA has posted 3 anti-male topics in 1.5 days. She has some serious insecurities. Strong women don't have to talk about being strong women.

The Dude said...

I spent years trying to commit an original sin.

Sadly, they've all been tried before and all I did was pull a hamstring.

Non, je ne regrette rien...

Michael Haz said...

I'm turning into the old man with high-waisted baggy plaid pants over at Lem's. I should go for a walk.

blake said...

Thanks, Mr. Haz. Means a lot comin' from you.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Troop you have a lot of connected people pulling for you...people connected with the big guy!