Sunday, December 1, 2013

Whose that author?

I suppose there were some back then had money, but we weren't among them. The Depression was on. And if we had been one of those with money, there really wasn't that much to buy, outside of hogs, chickens, vegetables, and the staples, and since we raised the first three, with us it was the staples, and sometimes we bartered for them.

Daddy farmed some, and where we lived wasn't so bad for growing things. The wind had blown away most of North and West Texas, along with Oklahoma, but the eastern part of Texas was lush with greenery and the soil was rich and there was enough rain so that things grew quick and hardy. Even during dry periods the soil tended to hold some moisture, and if a crop wasn't as good as it might be, it could still turn out. In fact, when the rest of Texas was tired out and gone to dust, East Texas would sometimes be subject to terrific rainstorms and even floods. We were more likely to lose a crop to dampness than to dryness.

6 comments:

The Dude said...

I know.

The Dude said...

I enjoyed the movie Bubba Ho-Tep - that made me hopeful for my declining years.

I read Mucho Mojo - what can I say, that ol' boy can write.

blake said...

Don Coscarelli! Looking forward to seeing his "John Dies At The End".

Not the writer. The writer is...someone else. I think I read one of his splatterpunk stories.

MamaM said...

Sometimes you could see water moccasins swimming in a school down the river, their evil heads bobbing up like knobs on logs. And woe unto the fella fell in amongst them, and bless the heart of the fool who believed if he swam down under them he'd be safe because a moccasin couldn't bite underwater. They not only could, but would.

rcocean said...

I can tell you what it isn't - "The Grapes of Wrath".

The Dude said...

Gripes of Roth, maybe...