Saturday, December 28, 2013

God bless you Uncle V

The funeral for my Uncle V was  beautiful. Held at our old parish Sacred Hearts and St Stephens. I had switched over to St Mary's Star of the Sea so I had not been in my original parish for quite a while. Everyone was impressed with how beautiful it is. The statues and  Christmas decorations were wonderful.

The new pastor is a very good man. He came to the wake last night and instead of just reading a prayer and running out he started a dialogue were everyone got to share their memories of my Uncle. My brother and my cousin Anthony did a great job leading the discussion. I was too out of it as my fib was acting up because of the stress. My brother Michael did a great job handling everything and he gave a superb eulogy  at the funeral mass today. He touched all the bases. How Uncle V sold shopping bags and shined shoes during the Depression to feed his family. His service in the Navy in World War 2. His work on the docks for forty years as a longshoreman. His devotion to his nieces and nephews. His generosity and love for all of us.

God bless you Uncle V. I now when you get up to the pearly gates you going to turn to St. Peter and say "Hey fella is this were I go in" and that other famous fisherman will say "Come right in Uncle V we were waiting for you."

6 comments:

ndspinelli said...

It sounds like the there was little acrimony, that's great.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I am glad you gave him a smooth loving send off. I am also glad stress for you was a minimum.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

The church looks great.

Cody Jarrett said...

I thought the surgery was supposed to fix that? You doing okay Troops?

And I'm very glad it was a smooth event. That hardly ever seems to happen.

Old man sounds like one of the last of a breed too. Too bad they have to go, huh?

MamaM said...

The MrM shakes his head and laughs at the end of this story, and says, "You know, he writes pretty well." Since I know it's pretty good, I agreed with him.

MamaM said...

Not until later does it occur to me that you were able to go to church, your old church, to honor the life and faith of your Uncle V and experience the mixed blessing of sorrow and comfort within a Christmas setting. Not the hoped for Thanksgiving or Christmas return, but re-entry back into a parish to experience something real and deeply meaningful in another way.

I'm sorry for your loss and thankful for your willingness to share the story, memories and meaning here in such a way as to touch our lives with good.