Sunday, April 12, 2015

Remembrance of Things Pabst.....Lose it at the end edition.

Tuesday is our only day off. We work like monkeys all the rest of the time but Tuesdays we are supposed to relax. We have not done so for the last two months.

Something is always happening on a Tuesday. Usually we schedule doctor appointments. So we went to the allergist down by Brooklyn Heights. The appointment was for one o'clock so we decided to make a day of it. I got a text from the UPS guy. He said I had a package. I have them trained to call me on my days off because I don't want good stuff to go back in the system if we are closed where the package gets all beat up. If it is a return of and online order I don't care. This was an expensive bra delivery so I had to arrange pickup. Normally I would just go myself but we wanted to spend the day together so we decided to stay out and go to the store at around 4pm when the guy could meet us.

Since we were in Brooklyn Heights we decided to go to one of my favorties that I never get to go to because it is too far away and the food is no good for me. Teresa's Polish restaurant on Montague Street.

We decided to do breakfast food since we didn't want anything heavy. Lisa had some multi grain pancakes with fresh strawberry and blue berry. I had a great mushroom and cheese omelet. I wanted to order my favorite but we decided it was too much. So I got a take out order of fried pirogies to eat that night.


After the lunch we decided to walk it off a little. We were only a block from the Promenade so we decided to go and hang for a little while. It was drizzling but we still made the best of it. When we look at it there is always a big hole where the Towers used to be. A passerby took a couple of pics of us.

You can see over my shoulder where the empty space would be. That is the view that you have seen countless times on movies and TV. I send people who visit the shop there all the time. We just like to stop by at least once a year. To remember.

Then we went to the store to wait for the UPS guy. Got the stuff. Walked home in the drizzle. And then of course Lisa fell as we were going into the house. So we had to go to emergency room.

We had a good day. But we lost it at the end.

4 comments:

Michael Haz said...

That sounds like a lovely day off, all but the part where Lisa fell.

Still and all, it could have been far worse, and I'm glad that Lisa's injuries weren't severe.

Those pirogi look delicious!

ndspinelli said...

Having literally dodged 2 bullets in my life, it can be traumatic, to have a close encounter. The first time, I was young and resilient. The second time I was in my mid 40's. I buried the trauma and had PTSD which I buried, just pressing on. That was a mistake. However, after dealing w/ the PTSD I look upon those close encounters as a God send. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Life is too fucking fickle and short.

MamaM said...

Twenty one years ago this month, my dad died of a head injury following a fall. Within 3 hours of him losing his footing on the basement steps of his office and falling backwards, he was gone. He been under stress from the cleaning and prep for retirement, and I wonder to this day if his co-ordination may have been off as a result of the bustle, physical work and emotional components involved. He might also have become dizzy, or had a mini-stroke. That my mom, who was standing at the top of the steps close to where he lost his footing, might have pushed him was ruled out, with no anomalies showing up in the autopsy.

Falls can be scary and serious. Thankfully, it sounds like Lisa weathered this one.

The working-like-monkeys-and-no-days-off-but-Tuesday-for-a-two-month-stretch routine sounds as scary and serious to me as the fall that transpired. I hope you both can find a workable way through this that involves less non-stop, balls to the wall time together, and more opportunities for rest and refreshment.

rcocean said...

I admire you guys that get Heart attacks and other scary stuff and keep on working. Frankly, if I get sick, its early retirement for me. I don't want to die at my desk. I'd rather die on the beach with an iced tea in my hand.