Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!


Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone!

I had a crazy couple of days. As you know I am down to one employee and we are scrambling to do everything we have to do this holiday season. We seem to be finishing projects that have been hanging fire for weeks and months and years all in a couple of days.

Our dishwasher has been broken for about two years and we couldn't replace it. We had built up the floor of our apartment because of the terrible slope of the sinking foundation of the extension where our kitchen is located. Of course we said "This is great but if our dishwasher breaks we are fucked." Well it broke about two years ago and we never got a chance to get it fixed. You see we had to take off the counter top to be able to pull up the dishwasher out of the hole it was in to replace it. We finally got a guy who could do it for a reasonable amount so we had the job done this week. Wouldn't you know it that it wasn't done completely. He installed it and it seemed to work fine. But the second time we used it the freaking thing didn't drain. So he has to come and fix it again. We wanted it for Thanksgiving so we used it and bailed the water. It seems that nothing can be done the right way the first time anymore.

Then we had a new maid starting this week. She speaks very little English but she seems industrious. Of course the wife had to stay home to direct her and keep an eye on her which meant that I had to do everything else in the store while she was away. So she was at home getting the house ready for Thanksgiving as we were having the family over for the holiday.

Thank left everything else to me.

I had to hit all the stores and get all the supplies as well as prepare the menu and all the food. Don't get me wrong because I love to do it. It is just exhausting. I had to go to about ten stores because you can't everything in one place. One joint has the good cold cuts  and another has the right pastry and another has the good bread and still another has the vegetable you need to make the meal correctly. Hitting all of the stores and running back to the Valise to help sell and cover the shift really knocked me on my ass.

The day was a big success. I made a big old fashioned sauce with meatballs and sausage and a gravy round. Also ravoli's. An anti pasto to start. Stuffed mushrooms. Brussel Sprouts in Bacon and white balsamic vinegar. Rice balls. Prosciutto Balls. Potato croquets. Cakes and pastries. My sister in law brought a turkey but the kids went for all the guinea food as always. The wife had a lot of fun playing with her nieces and nephews and best of all they went home early. Yeah.

So I am beat.

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend to all of youse.


4 comments:

ricpic said...

Ooh, I love potato croquets. Though I haven't had one in years.

What did you pour the meatball and sausage sauce over? Pasta, I assume. The ravioli? That doesn't sound right so I'm going with pasta...but you don't mention pasta. Help a guy out, willya?

Upstate got real lucky this year, 55 and SUNNY on Thanksgiving! But the blank hits the blank tomorrow, low 30's and spitting snow all day. Yup, it begins.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Trooper York said...

You just put the sauce over the ravioli and eat the meatball and sausage on the side.

TerriW said...

Sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving.

I host every year at my house, which I've been doing since I've become a mom so my own mom doesn't have to do it anymore.

I had everything planned out and purchased, then two days before the meal, my sister-in-law (of the 5 dogs, no heirs side of the family) wrote a note on my FB wall that she and my brother were going to bring, just so I'd know: two kinds of stuffing (one bread, one rice), mashed sweet potatoes, a cranberry sofrito salsa, a smoked turkey and a pumpkin pie.

And I'm thinking ... uh ... o-KAY.

(Guess they don't like my cooking?)

And then I thought, sure, fuck it, why not. That's nearly the whole meal right there, I'm going to kick back and enjoy the morning with my husband and kids instead of running around.

Well, they showed up 45 minutes late (the rest of the extended family was there hungry and waiting) with the food in large and deep casserole dishes, cold.

Ha!

But I'm a pretty cork-on-the-water kind of gal -- and it's going to give me something to laugh about every Thanksgiving morning now for the rest of my life. Can't ask for more than that.