Wednesday, November 13, 2013

You never know who will show up in the Valise!

So we left the door open today because the heat is on and the store is very warm and we wanted to cool it down a little. When we do that more people wander in off of the street. That is good and bad. Most of the time it is people who are just browsing or looking to come in from the cold. Today it seemed like it was mostly dudes. First the window washer came by. Then the guy who greases the gates. Some guy looking for a business card holder. A guy selling artwork from the back of his car. And this tall skinny dude who looks like he was homeless.

Now normally I am in the back at my desk and I come out when there is a dude in the store. So each time I pop out and check out what is going on. This tall guy was dressed very rough and dirty with a hat and a hood and he looked like he wanted to steal something. I looked closely at him. And I go: "Hey dude aren't you Nelson Van Alden?"

It was him or actually Michael Shannon which is the actor's name. He was buying a scarf. He pretty much was a dick. Stiff. Arrogant. A typical self entitled moron. One of the reasons I want to leave Brooklyn because all of these famous people are moving in to the neighborhood. You see I grew up with real gangsters. Not the ones who play them on TV. So we were not all that impressed. But we always try to be nice. We chatted while Lisa rang up the card. I was talking about how I have to explain what is going on because Lisa doesn't always follow the ins and outs of the show because she is texting or instagraming or some shit while it is on.

Last episode they depicted the murder of Dion O'Bannion. They implied that Van Alden was going to do it with a gun that Al Capone gave him. Everybody knows that Frankie Yale came from Brooklyn to kill O'Bannion while Scalise and Anselmi held his arms. It is one of the most famous hits in history.

So I say to him "You guys looked like you were going to pull a fast one. You made it appear that Van Alden was going to do the hit but you showed what really happened. It was one of the few times you followed what really happened. I know, I know artistic license." He goes "Boy you are a real history buff."

No I am just well informed. Ok I might have slightly encyclopedic knowledge of Mafia hits and Western gunfights but that is just my hobby. I just hate when they trash history and make up shit that is not as interesting as what really went down. When they invent characters instead of using the real people.

I can understand when people are socially awkward. Most of our customers are until they warm up. This guy warmed up a little at the end to the point that he agreed to take a photo. Lisa insisted because she wanted to post it on facebook and Instagram.

I left him with the words of wisdom I always tell people from TV when I meet them in person. "You know I met a lot of terrible people in my life. Mafia hit men. Burglars and thieves. Drug peddlers. But not of them are as bad as people who work in TV."

Hey nobody can be as big a dick as me. Just sayn'

28 comments:

ricpic said...

He was right. You ARE a history buff. Everybody doesn't know the personnel involved in mob hits.

More to the point the picture looks as though the two of you are hitting it off. Both smiling with what look like unforced smiles. Never assume is so so true.

Cody Jarrett said...

Hey nobody can be as big a dick as me. Just sayn'

It's why I luvs ya, Troops.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Well done Troop, well done.

Cody Jarrett said...

BTW--are you trying to ape the Fred Rogers look or is it an accident.

Although...better Fred than Ginger.

Carry on sir, carry on.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Given you are what, six one, Michael Shannon is a pretty tall dude.

Cody Jarrett said...

Lists his height as 6'3". Probably wearing boots, and Mr. Rogers was in his boat sneakers.

rcocean said...

-Very interesting. Loved the bit about telling this the guy the real history.

-There's plenty of stuff from history they have to change for TV/Film because its too strange and improbable.

-If in 1994 ABC had aired a TV show about some introverted half-Kenyan Hawaiian dude who "paled around with terrorists" as President - I never would have watched it. Too improbable.

The Dude said...

Nice list of low-lifes but you omitted lawyers and law professors, just sayin'.

chickelit said...

One of the guys who took part in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre rode an Indian motor cycle. If they remake the film, setting it in modern times, the guy could be riding a Harley and be historically accurate.

Cody Jarrett said...

Sometimes you read Chixses quips and chuckle, sometimes you groan...sometimes...like this time...

sheesh.


Bad Chick. Bad chick you.

blake said...

I'm guessing, though you don't mention it by name, that you're talking about "Boardwalk Empire".

Shannon is a really fine actor. He recently had a small bit in Mud where he played a normal dude. Never saw him do that before.

blake said...

And why was he in your store?

Cody Jarrett said...

Because he was buying a scarf.

Second sentence, third paragraph.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Talkin about mobsters: Troop, is there another reason you do not like Francis...

chickelit said...

What you're complaining about Cody is the quality of my quippage. Truth is, it was meant for Sixty. So if Sixty chuckled, I'm happy.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Dean O'Banion has his own website...

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

More O'Banion...

Michael Haz said...

You Never Know Who'll Show Up In The Valise sounds like a scene from Goodfellas.

blake said...

Yeah, I see that, Cody.

I just don't believe it.

The Dude said...

I chuckled, Chickle Man, but I could not come up with a retort or a topper or anything, so I pretended that I hadn't read it. Like a Chip Ahoy post it was complete and nothing could be added.

I gotcher Injun right heah!

Trooper York said...

Michael Shannon was more like 6'4"
and really skinny.

He looks like a big bulky guy on TV but is not so much in person.

Trooper York said...

I had no idea that he had a big role in "Man of Steel" as I never watch DC comic book movies.

I am a Marvel Comics guy.

Trooper York said...

It was funny but he wife and I agreed that his personality was just like Van Alden when we met him in person. Awkward. Inarticulate. Stiff. On edge.

I was just happy he did not try to drown me in the toilet or something.

Michael Haz said...

Traveling today and Lem's blog isn't working well on my iPhone.

You're welcome, Nick.

windbag said...

He's one of my son's favorite actors. Man of Steel sucked on every level, Shannon couldn't rescue it. I did like him in Groundhog Day and Shotgun Stories. Haven't watched Boardwalk Empires, so no opinion there. He's definitely intense. Oh yeah, I did see that video where he read the sorority girl's letter.

Trooper York said...

He is very intense in person. It was pretty funny. Whaddayagonna do?

Trooper York said...

My granddaughter recognized him from "Man of Steel."

I guess I am out of touch with movies these days.

When I think of Superman I think of George Reeves.

blake said...

HOLY CRAP! HE WAS IN GROUNDHOG DAY!

That means he ground up and ate Debbie after Wrestlemania!