Thursday, April 3, 2014

Get the fuck out of here with your Whole Foods Bullshit



So after we had finished bringing the fabric to the storage unit we decided to go to the new Whole Foods. It is about twenty blocks from my house and since I don't have a car we didn't have an occasion to go there. I had Omar drive us there. We parked in the lot and he pushed the wagon for me in the store.

I wanted him to carry a canteen so I could call him Gunga Din but he wouldn't go for it.

Anyway they did have a nice meat section even though it was wildly overpriced. I got a couple of filet mignons to cook and some veggies for the side. We got a little of this and a little of that but the prices were outrageous. The little food market across the street called Gourmet Fresh had most of this stuff. The veggies at KY Fruits are half the price. So we won't be going back.

But at least I got to see what everyone is talking about. As usual it is bullshit.

13 comments:

rcocean said...

Yeah, they are incredibly over-priced. Surprised they are in NYC, with all your high quality food. Mine has great bread, which I can't get elsewhere and good fish. They also are incredibly over-staffed, every aisle has some character doing something or just hanging out ready to ask you "Can I help you?"

Trooper York said...

That is what bugged me out.

No dude I can squeeze my own melon thank you very much.

The Dude said...

The one in Manhattan is much nicer. Two stories, down near the Battery.

Trooper York said...

This is two stories as well.

They have a food court.

Unlike the one in Manhattan, in this one you have a view of Manhattan.

Trooper York said...

Hipster actually go on dates there.

It is post-ironic or some shit like that there.

ndspinelli said...

I hate the pretentious fucking places. Annie lives near the one in Madison. She used to talk about shopping there until we blasted her hard on the pretense. Those were fun days.

Trooper York said...

It is just way too expensive. I mean the fuckin' hipsters love it.
De Blasio is there all the time.

Michael Haz said...

We shopped at Whole Foods once, and quickly dubbed it Whole Paycheck.

The same quality produce can be purchased for about half the price at most smaller ethnic grocery stores, especially the stores owned by Mexicans and Greeks. And no one pesters you to look at the new display of yoga mats and essential oils.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

It is probably the one thing you and Crack could agree upon now, Whole Foods sucks. I was there once and once was enough. Paying 100% margin on food is insanity.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Here is the guide on dos and don'ts at WF (in regards to pricing)

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

WF resignation letter…

blake said...

Whole Foods is good for what it is. And what it is is a place to get groceries for people who buy groceries as a status symbol.

But, no, EBL's guide is good: You can do okay shopping there as long as you know what you're doing.

I used to visit once or twice a year to get specialty items I couldn't get anywhere else. Now I just buy it on Amazon and I don't have to deal with their awful parking lot.

The Dude said...

I was just at the local WF this afternoon. Excellent, good quality food that does not render me ill.

There are very few places about which I can say that.

It has, in the past, come very close to gettin' real all up in there.