Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Killer Angels


Joshua Chamberlain looked down from Little Round Top. He could see the butternut clad forces of Lee’s Army drawing together for a charge. Their tattered battle standards whipped in the wind as the Rebs checked the loads in their rifles and readied their battered footgear for the fight ahead. His brother Tom came to stand beside him. “Sure is a lot of Johnnie Rebs coming this way Josh. Did the General tell you what we should do when you went up the hill?”
Kilrain spit out a gob from his chaw. “I doubt old Meade has a plan. He dithers like an old woman. I think he left us out here on the sharp end of the stick Colonel darling.”
Chamberlain looked over the battlefield. “We are here to do our duty Tom. It is a noble cause we are engaged in. A fight to set men free.”
"Do you think people will remember this Josh a hundred years from now?”
Kilrain spit. “Not hardly. Man is quick to forget a good turn. The only thing they will husband is a grudge. This is a rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight.”
“No I don’t think that’s right Buster. I think people will long remember what we do here. Our comrades have laid down their lives to set men free. That will never be forgotten.”
“It is a fine man you are Colonel darling but you couldn’t be more wrong.”

7 comments:

rcocean said...

Joshua Chamberlain was a white supremacist. See any black soldiers at Gettysburg?

'Nough said.

chickelit said...

The "Killer Angels" is an old and venerable series at TY. One of the oldest series?

Which series is Troop's oldest?

I recommend clicking on the tag and reading previous posts and comments.

chickelit said...

It looks to me like this may have been the pilot episode of the longest running series on TY.

chickelit said...

“I think I have to go see the General, Lieutenant. I don’t like the looks of this situation. It looks like a tragedy in the making.”
“What General is that Joshua,” asked his brother Tom. “Do we even know who is in command?”
“That’s Colonel when the men can hear Lieutenant” replied Chamberlain. “I think Meade is in command.”
“Which one is he Colonel.”
“I think he’s the one with the beard.”
“I think he is the one that is the beard Colonel darling,” piped up Sergeant Buster Kilrain, “you will find him hiding in the root cellar.”
“How do you know that Buster” asked Tom.
“Just a feelin’ to be sure, just a feelin’ in these old bones.” Kilrain wiped his nose on his sleeve. “It is a powerful sad thing.”


Prescient?

chickelit said...

Sixty Grit said...
A veritable pas de douche as it were


How did I miss that quip first time around?

And I still miss yashu.

windbag said...

This entry from Chamberlain's memoirs was exceptionally poignant.

"I spun around and fired my revolver at the advancing rebel, but to no avail. Empty. Like when you notice the toilet paper roll is empty you know that things are about to get messy."

War is hell.

blake said...

Never forge--ooh, a squirrel!