Saturday, May 23, 2009

Tales of Kelly's Garden


Holly: [to Fiver] I remember you. You're the one that saw it coming.
Fiver: Yes I saw it in a dream.
Pipkin: But what happened?
Holly: Our warren, destroyed!
Silver: Destroyed? How?
Holly: Bad men came. Filled in the burrows with terrible words. Couldn't get out. There was a strange sound. Hissing. The air turned bad. Putrid and vile. It smelled of fear and desperation. And hate. Runs blocked with bodies. I couldn't get out. I couldn’t stand it any more. Everything turned mad. Warren, herbs, roots, grass, all pushed into the earth.
Hazel: These evil men have always hated us.
Holly: No. They just destroyed the warren because we were in their way. They made it a place where no one could linger. The joy was gone.
Hazel: Well we are safe now. Listen to the new lady sing to us in the morning. Everyone is here. We have a new home. The gumpy old badger. The gay blue jay. The robin red breast. Even the delivery boy who pinches the baker’s loaves.
Fiver: What is that song she keeps singing?
Bigwig: My Life Would Suck Without You.
Hazel: She loves us. I think we have found a new home.

No comments: