Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Dubious Case of the Disappearing Douchebag


My dear Holmes,

It is your most humble petitioner, Inspector Lestrade. It has been some time since I have last requested you assistance in the troubling matter of the not so recent disappearance of Lord Douchebag. This curious case has dragged on and on. It seems to have escaped the notice of so many who claimed the deepest interest and concern, but who have gone on as though nothing had happened. But there some new and troubling developments made it such that I thought I might contact you as we have not corresponded about this matter for many months.

As I had previously noted in my last missive, I or my agents have attended many of the salons of the noted conversationalist and dilettante Lady Chatterley where Lord Douchebag was a frequent and much valued guest. In fact it has been told to me that the Lady in question has often referred to him as wonderful. What is most striking is that his name has not passed the lips of any of the many participants for lo these many months and it is as if he never existed. But now an even more inexplicable event has transpired. The entire salon has disappeared.

Inspector Gregson had informally visited the salon over the past few months to see if he might develop some leads. Or at least that was his stated purpose. In actual fact he had continued his visits because of a strange friendship he had struck up with a young follower of Lady Chatterley who shared his interests in exotic spaniels and defecation. But it seems his new friend had spurned him due to his burgeoning relationship with a sepoy who had recently been detailed to Devonshire from his regiment in Delhi. This caused Gregson to leave in a huff. None the less he still maintained some correspondence with some of the other members of this obscure cult. And now it seems that have all disappeared. All of the fops, dandies, toadies and lickspittles have disappeared along with Lady Chatterley and her lover the erstwhile gardener. They have left no forwarding address or other means of contacting them. It is passing strange that they would flee and leave nothing but a pile of ash and an unpleasant odor.


I would like to ask if you would consider investigating this outré occurrence and help me puzzle out what has happened to the entire salon that has occupied so much of our thoughts the past few months. It is a mystery that requires you special talents to solve.

I hope all is well with you and Doctor Watson and wish that you convey my best wishes to your estimable brother Mycroft. I must tell you that I have purchased one of his etchings for Inspector Gregson’s birthday. He was struck by it and continues to express his appreciation every day although I do not see why he would treasure it so much. But I venture to presume that I am not as enamored of representations of naked street urchins eating bananas. My taste runs more to watercolors of lilies.

I remain as always,
Your obedient servant,
Inspector G. Lestrade
Scotland Yard
May 14, 1899

22 comments:

The Dude said...

Trooper - who wrote that? That is unlike anything you normally write. Was a cockaroach involved?

Trooper York said...

No it was all me.

Think of it as a homage.

And if you read some of the older Dubious posts you will see a similar style.

Trooper York said...

Also I have been drinking Absinthe.

Trooper York said...

I write each and every post. I haven't ever had a guest blogger although I might be in the market for some if things turn out the way I think they might. Just sayn'

windbag said...

Absinthe will kill you, dude. I'll send you some 'shine to counteract that stuff.

reader_iam said...

Sixty Grit: If you click on the Holmes tag, you can go back and read other posts in this series. It's the same style. (I think this is my favorite series.)

The Dude said...

I have been reading TDCotDD posts ever since Bissage went to work for Blogger. Any further comment would be a back handed compliment at Troop's earlier writing, so suffice it to say, that one was well done.

Titus said...

Hilarious, creative and excellent writing.

You really need to be in some large publication where many eyes will see your skills.

The Times perhaps? That would be so fab.

blake said...

I know you've written all of these, Troop, and I see a few telltale Trooperisms in this-but it is probably the most polished of your DCotDDs.

reader_iam said...

I've been seeing the same thing in comment sections lately. Perhaps it's polishing. Perhaps it's a mask slipping. Whichever, whatever.

Still.

peacelovewoodstock said...

Don't worry, I found Lord Douchebag, he was on David Gregory's show on Sunday morning bitching about Ryan's budget plan.

Chennaul said...

What the duck is with all the sturm und Drag over at the other joint?

Jeebus.

Oh and someone wanted a "french" monument-

the IMF.

(the Frenchies run that thing the most -only to be sometimes rotated with the swedish types.)

But we pay 17.6% of that bill...

The next biggest donator is the Japanese at 6%.

chickelit said...

Oh and someone wanted a "french" monument- the IMF.

How come it's not called the FMI then (Fonds Monétaire International)?

Lac of fonds? or Fond du lac?

chickelit said...

Lac of fonds? or Fond du lac?

Oops--I think that one belongs in the last Jason thread.

Chennaul said...

Fond of Lics?

Wait....

Yuck!

I think it's how we pay for the French's poor skills of colonization-except for when it comes to bacteria-on cheese.

Chennaul said...

Titus

Who the hell is Don Lemon?

I know Don Cherry but I don't think you want him on your "team".

Trooper York said...

It's a lot easier to be polished when you make fewer posts per day. Then you can take your time and change it around.

I often thake the basic format of a story and change around the details. Most people like the familarity of the wording but enjoy the twists and turns of the paticular entry. Form and substance baby.

chickelit said...

Trooper York said...
It's a lot easier to be polished when you make fewer posts per day.

I'll bet Titus polishes his post everyday.

Titus said...

Chicken, I actually don't. I rarely jerk off.

Don Lemon is a CNN newscaster and he is black. It is kind of a big deal because the blacks tend to kind of hate the gays and the gays know they hate us.

Titus said...

What about Posada? And Go Sox!

Titus said...

I don't remember Bissage.

What was his personality like...on line of course?

Chennaul said...

I'll bet Titus polishes his post everyday.

o....m....g.....

Oh I was traveling and now I am caught up on the Lemon guy. I've seen the guy-just never knew his name.

***