Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I didn't just get here on the turnip truck!


So I have never made turnips before. We are going to my in-laws. They were supposed to come to me but my father in law is not feeling well so we are bringing everything to them. My father in law wanted some turnips so I have to make them to cheer him up.

I have a handle on everything except for the fuckin turnips.

Now they are diabetics and the funny thing is that every recipe seems to call for a ton of sugar. White sugar. Brown sugar. More sugar than the Crack Emcee gets in a month of Sundays. So since I am a simpleton I am going simple.

I am going to peel them and quarter them and put them in a pan with salt and pepper and roast them of a while. When I turn them over I am going to put a big pat of butter on each slice so it melts and covers the turnip. When it is ready I will serve as is.

What do you think?

Any non sugar turnip recipes will be greatly appreciated.

15 comments:

The Dude said...

Place turnips into a paper bag.

Throw away the bag.

This is a sugar-free recipe. Turnip-free, too, which is a real plus.

Jason (the commenter) said...

I've only ever put them under roasts and then pureed them when they were done. Always tasted good to me.

Jason (the commenter) said...

Meat drippings make everything taste good.

chickelit said...

In our family, there can never be too much gravy.

ricpic said...

I've heard that turnips with just a little salt and butter are scrumptious. That's what I've heard.

dbp said...

If you get young ones like in your picture then you don't need to cook them at all. My grandma would just slice them and serve raw along with carrot sticks, celery stalks and stuff like that. Nice to have crunchy raw vegetables between courses--kind of a palette cleanser.

ooonaughtykitty said...

Roasted Turnips and Mushrooms

http://bit.ly/s8s1mX

Fred4Pres said...

I am with Sixty.

Celeriac, parsnips, potatoes are all great root veggies.

Turnips generally suck.

rcocean said...

They're like most crappy vegetables.
Boil em, and put enough salt and butter on 'em and they're OK.

My mother always used them in soups where more flavorful vegetables would obliterate the Turnip's bland, no-nothing taste.

Trooper York said...

I wonder if I could fry them up.

Or mash them up and roll them in breadcrumbs and deep fry them like potato croquets.

Fred4Pres said...

You can definitely mash them. Unlike parsnips and celeriac, they have no taste. Less than potatoes.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dust Bunny Queen said...

Probably too late for Thanksgiving, but here goes. My hubby has diabetes and likes this dish.

Peel and cut up the turnips (normally I would just ignore the nasty turnips) into 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch chunks. Get some parsnips and do the same thing. You can also throw in some red new potatoes unpeeled and likewise chunked up.

Put them all on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil until they are all coated, kosher salt, cracked pepper and some spices you like. Can't go wrong with basil or tarragon.

Bake at 375 until they are all tender. Toss them around in the oven on the baking sheet once or twice. Probably take about 40 minutes or so.

Transfer into a covered casserole dish if you are traveling. Vent it a bit...You don't want the veggies to continue to steam and get too soft.

The dish is sweet with the parsnips and new potatoes and you may not even notice the nasty turnips.

:-D

rcocean said...

Germans used to live on Turnips, now they feed them to the Hogs.

Just sayn'

blake said...

Yeah, mash 'em. Mashed with butter, salt, garlic, they're--well, not potatoes but not bad.