Sunday, November 20, 2011

Remembrance of things Pabst


You know how I tell you there are two kinds of joints in Carroll Gardens. The yuppie scum/hipster dofous joints where the decor and the scene are what is important and the neighborhood joints that give you a full meal with a fair price without the frills. I love the neighborhood joints and that is where I always want to go. But there is always an exception that proves the rule.

On our daily walks along the waterfront we have been checking out all of these joints on Columbia and Van Brunt Streets. Normally we don't get down there but now that we pass them we are intrigued. And the one that we really, really wanted to try was called Casa Di Campagna on Kane St. They always had a special board outside with a great lunch menu and the choices looked great. So when we walked by there on Friday we saw that they had a special of pasta with peas and bacon. So we said we had to go and check it out.

We planned to go for lunch but as usual we didn't get there till about two or three hours later. Our good friends and frequent dining companions Chuck and Amy came with us and we got there right around five o'clock. Which is always problematic because they are just getting ready and they might not have everything on line yet. But I thought since it was an old school place it would be ok. You see we had passed it in the early evening a few times and we had seen several neighborhood knucklehead guys in there so we figured it had to be good. Right? Wrong.

The head waiter or manager or whatever he was greeted us and we went to sit in the back. The ambiance is great with a wood burning stove and paneling all over the place. It reminded me of a log cabin we would go camping in up in Alpine or Pouch or Ten Mile River or something. But the food was no where as good as the stuff we used to whip up on a hike.

First off he was very invested in the specials. They were predominately seafood and of course we didn't order any as the wife is allergic and I don't really care for them. Even after we said we didn't want any he had to recite them. Fair enough. But when it came time to order he almost was insulted that we didn't order any specials. He goes "What you are not ordering any specials?" "Yes they are mostly seafood and we said we weren't going to order any."

Now it usually a good idea to order a special when you go in a restaurant as this is something they are invested in and want you to get. They had a lot of lobster and stuffed calamari which I bet were great but not what we wanted. Sometimes when you order other things that are on the menu you get stuff that is an afterthought and not properly prepared. This is what happened to us.

This joint had pizza and calzones and stuff so I decided to order rice balls and potato croquet's for an appetizer for the table. We also got a Caesar salad as well. Well they weren't prepared I guess because it took forever for the apps to come. I was watching carefully as I always do and I saw one of the bus guys come up from the cellar with the ingredients to make the potatoes and the rice balls. So at least they were fresh since they had to scramble to make them. But it took forever. You would think that they would be prepared on a Friday night. The rice balls and potatoes were fine. Nothing to write home about but perfectly adequate. But the salad didn't come out with the apps they way we ordered. The new waiter or bus guy or whatever who took over in the middle of the meal was confused when we asked him about the salad. Since he didn't take the order that was understandable so waddayagonna do. When I asked for the salad he went to talk to the manager guy who started yelling at him in Italian. So he brings out the salad which was quite disappointing. Now I am not a big Caesar salad fan but those of us who are just didn't like it. It was watery and drab and not up to snuff. Another problem. Don't you hate to go to a place where there is always a problem?

I forget to mention that the wine was a problem. I ordered Chianti Reserva which is a staple in any Spaghetti joint in the neighborhood. It doesn't matter what the label might be it is usually adequate at the least or very tasty at the best. But of course they didn't have it. No Chianti in an Italian restaurant on a Friday Night? Not a good sign. The replacement was fine if a little bit more expensive but I didn't give a shit. It was nice enough that we ordered two bottles. But on the second bottle the manager did make a mistake which everyone pointed out to me after he left the table. He didn't let me taste the new bottle with a fresh glass before he started pouring it. That is a pet peeve of mine. It is an indication to me of a joint that is just not paying attention. The second or third or fourth bottle should be treated just like the first. If it is off you don't wanted it poured out into your glasses. You want to know that it is up to snuff. If they don't do that then they really don't know what they are doing. Or they are treating you with contempt. Which is always possible in a neighborhood joint where they don't know you. They think you are tourists and act accordingly. That might have been what was happening here. I don't know for sure.

Anyway we get the main course. Amy and Chuck enjoyed their chicken dishes but the wife and I were very disappointed in ours. The wife had the pasta and bacon in the garlic and oil. It was mushy and watery and pretty much devoid of bacon. I mean a Muslim could of had it and still got into paradise after he blew up a yeshiva and stuff. No bacon. No fun.

My risotto was a total mess. Very watery. I think the mushrooms had recently been in a can. It was a travesty. I swallowed it down as best I could but left half of it on the plate. I never leave half my dinner on the plate. It was really really bad. Just about the worst I have ever had. And I have eaten in an Olive Garden in Florida. Just sayn'

Now I know this diatribe sounds like what a typical yuppie scum guy would say when he complains about a restaurant. I know that. And I hate to do that. I normally don't. I let a lot of shit go in a neighborhood joint if they have a speciality or two that I like. But this was not really acceptable in any way shape or form. It was the exception that proves the rule. It was an old school place that was mired in the fifties when people were used to eating crap and liking it. Since there were several "connected" guys on the premise at the time I have to wonder if something else is going on. Maybe so maybe no. But it is hard to believe that they actually think everything is cool based on what we saw there this Friday. Plus when we left it was empty. On a Friday night about eight o'clock. Maybe they get a late crowd.

You might ask why I didn't complain or make a fuss about any of the stuff that happened. That's not my way. I always let the people show me what they got. It is much easier to get a read on a place that way. If you put them on their toes they might tighten it up a little but lax off on some important thing later on. They just lost us as customers. It's a shame really because when we find a joint we like than we hit it hard and eat there ten or twelve or twenty or more times a year. If the meal is $200 (as this one was) and we go ten times that is $2000 that they are throwing away without a care in the world. Plus the people I would send there if I like a joint. People are always asking me for a place to go to eat. So they made there meal and were happy with what they did. Which is fine by me. There are plenty of joints to hit. I don't like to make a fuss. But I like when you do things right. Then you get my loyalty and recommendations.

This is not a place you want to go to.

23 comments:

chickelit said...

You killed that "house in the country" just to watch it die, didn't you?

chickelit said...

I'm afraid to go to my own blog comments. I really layed into Ritmo and I can't undo it.

The Dude said...

"I mean a Muslim could of had it and still got into paradise after he blew up a yeshiva and stuff. No bacon. No fun."

Sometimes you just nail it, Troop. Well, other than the use of "of" instead of "have", but Titus knows what you mean.

Trooper York said...

Hey when I am telling a story I write it the way I would talk it.

Yogi told me to do it that way.

The Dude said...

Yogi may be the greatest living American. The way it sounds "could of" is based on the contraction "could've", shortened from "could have".

When your contractions are 5 minutes apart, head to the hospital, just sayin'...

windbag said...

I like the red and white sign on the corner. It says it all.

Fred4Pres said...

Goat.

Although too bad they did not have a goat special, because goat tastes pretty damn good (better than lamb). Just sayin.

ndspinelli said...

The critique seems legit and righteous. Go on Yelp and spread the word this place sucks.

Trooper York said...

I hear you nd but I hate Yelp. This review is only for people who follow me. I want to be honest about the fact that I was wrong. A neighborhood joint is not always the best place to go.

You have to be humble.

I don't want to hurt the guy's business. He is doing a good enough job of that on his own.

rcommal said...

Really nice job. I can understand why you wouldn't want to actually name the joint, or other joints you write about in your neighborhood, but it's sort of a shame in that the sort of restaurant "review" you write could fill a niche that really isn't filled. I certainly think anyone going to your neck of the woods ought to email you privately for where to avoid (or where's it's worth making time to sample).

Trooper York said...

But I did name it here as well as put a photo of it in the post.

I just don't want to go on Yelp or Citi Search.

That is over kill.

Ron said...

I have to say Trooper, I totally agree with your approach to restaurants. It's in effect what I do myself, without articulating it as well as you did.

But when you like a place, you forgive a lot.

rcommal said...

Hah! LOL.

Clearly I'm in full pre-Thanksgiving tizzy, skimming everything, flitting every which way and probably failing everywhere. This was Providential, in that I will take it as A Sign to slow the hell down, lest I leave behind something major in our travel packing or, worse, completely overlook something when cooking most of the dinner in someone else's kitchen on Thursday, after arriving in the wee hours.

Off to have a glass of wine, calm down and take a close look at my lists and plan.

Happy Thanksgiving early, Trooper.

ricpic said...

Okay, I'm going to say this flat out: bacon in pasta with garlic and oil doesn't sound right. The combination I mean. Of course I've never had it but I can't see it working. I assume the bacon has to be patted very very dry, otherwise the bacon grease and the oil...no.

blake said...

ricpic--

Carbonara is typically bacon. It's not my favorite but it can work.

Titus said...

I am 1/2 hipster and 1/2 down home North Shore Itanian restaurant.

I guess I am kind of bi.

I also have a large hog and beautiful shaved balls. I want to show you them.

Titus said...

For example, last night I went out to a hipster restaurant called Stella in the hipster South End. I had a good time the Margarita Pizza was very good.

But I would of been just of happy in Revere, Mass (think Jersey Shore) having homemade raviolis at Maggios.

tits and clouds.

WALT said...

I always thought a neighborhood joint was a place that has beenaraound for a while and has been established as go to destination for old time residents. As this place is very new I think less than 2 years it seems that it does not qualify. as far as the food goes I have never had a problem. Although the Italian cheese cake is better than any I have had in a while. As far as the neighborhood goes there are very few and I mean very few old timers left. The people I rent my apt from have owned the place for only 3 years. Besides the people that used live there never went out for dinner anyway. Thats why there were only 3 restuarants in the whole neighborhood when I was growing up. In fact there wasn't a Chinese restaurant until around 1980. So next time you wax nostalgia just remember Gloria's rest on Court St.

WALT said...

Besides the area is full of the hipsters now. Thats all they cater to. Try a nice Thai place called Nine D on court st. Great food at great prices. There used to be a coffee shop there a few years ago. Nice lady used to work there.

john said...

I like Olive Garden.

But that's about all we get out here.

Trooper York said...

Gloria's was great but I prefered Helen's.

There are only about five or six old school joints around. Sams. Red Rose. Casa Rosa which was formerly Gloria's. And of course my favorite Fernando's.

This place is relatively new but I understand the people involved are old timers. I saw a lot of old school neighborhood guys in there. They wouldn't go to a yuppie place.

Trooper York said...

It is funny that the first Chinese joint is till around. Me and My Egg Roll. Ha.

Trooper York said...

And you are a pretty funny guy Walt.