Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Problems of a shopkeeper!



So while I was in the showroom I decided to do some business while we were waisting time looking at free shoes.

We decided to take in some shoes for the store. You see we always have shoes inside the dressing room for the girls to try on while they are trying on a dress. Then they can see what the look like. They are cheap generic shoes from Target or Zappos or whatever but it seem like everyday these girls ask to buy the shoes even though they are like fuckin' bowling shoes since so many people have worn them and shit. So why not have some shoes that they can try on and actually buy. But that is a win-win situation.

Now buying shoes is a pain in the balls. We have done it before. You have to buy a case which in our sizing sucks because you get stuck with a 6,7 and 71/2 which will not fit my customers. The way this company breaks it down you can get a case of six or a case of twelve. They think they are going to discontinue the ones I wanted. I wanted to get a case of six with the sizes 9,91/2,10,11,12. That is my size range. But I also need size 8 and 8 1/2. So that means I have to buy an twelve pack that has an
7,7 1/2,8,8 1/2,9,9 1/2,10,11,12. That means I would be stuck with the 7 and 7 1/2 at fifty bucks a pop is a hundred dollar bill on the shelf gathering dust. In three colors that is $300 sitting there rotting. The sales lady goes "Oh somebody coming with a friend will buy them you don't to worry." Yes I do, I can't freeze $300 I can put into Spanx or handbags or fucking beer for that matter. What would you guys do?

My decision was to buy the 12 pack in black because black always sells the best in shoes. We are getting the red and the purple in the 6 pack of the bigger sizes. So I am only putting $100 on the shelf in the long run and the rest will sell pretty well. I can always order a smaller size in the red or purple. But I like to hedge my bets as much as I can.

Why do I have to know so much about women's fucking shoes!

(By the way girls, what do you think about the shoes....in black, red, or purple)

17 comments:

ricpic said...

Put the ball in their court. I'll buy 10 cases WITHOUT sizes 7, 71/2 and 8 or I'll buy ZERO complete cases! They wanna do business too I assume. Watch them get flexible when it's a choice between a big order on your terms or no order.

Anonymous said...

Black, will usually always look good with almost any outfit. I love the showe pictured, I own a pair very similar to this.

Anonymous said...

Damn iPad, shoe.

ricpic said...

Oops. 7 and 71/2. Tell 'em a white lie that you'll take the 8's even though it's breaking your back but see how cooperative I can be?

ricpic said...

The black bow is inexplicably sexy. Ah, the mystery of sexy.

Anonymous said...

How about a nude color, or taupe?

AllenS said...

Could you give the smaller size shoes to a local charitable organization and write off the loss? Plus, that would be good public relations.

Anonymous said...

I have a black lace dress, over a nude, taupe satin liner, I need a taupe shoe like the one above.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Yah. Tying up a lot of money in inventory can be a pain. Not shoes, but we have to stock many items, pumps and parts that we don't sell everyday, but when someone wants it...they want it now and eventually if you have skimpy inventory, people will not come back and you might lose a much larger sale down the way to a competitor.

Of course...pumps and well parts don't go out of style like fashions do so it can sit in storage for quite some time.

Back to clothes and shoes. Nothing more dispiriting than shopping in a store that seems empty or lacking in merchandise. If you are out of one size or so, and can hint that it is because people are really buying this (shoe/dress/whatever) out as fast as you can stock it, that is a plus (even if it isn't true). To get in on a special order makes people feel good about themselves and important.

Dark Eggplant Purple? Yes. Red and Black, of course.

Trooper York said...

Well heres the thing. We are not a shoe store. This is just an accommodation to the girl who wants to buy the whole outfit. My space is very limited. I don't have the room.

And ricpic you don't get the scale of the operation. If each shoe is $50 retail a case of twelve runs $300 but a case of 12 runs $600. So I am doubling my risk if I buy a 12 pack with the added risk that I would be better off giving them away as AllenS says(which we do with clothing all the time).

I am only buying 24 shoes. Lets see how it goes. I ain't a big macher you know. I am a little smeckler.

chickelit said...

So I am doubling my risk if I buy a 12 pack with the added risk that I would be better off giving them away as AllenS says(which we do with clothing all the time).

That would be way cool to sit down with AllenS over a 12 pack of Leinies.

AllenS said...

Well, it's news to me that shoes come in a 12 pack, that's for sure.

AllenS said...

A conversation that I'll never have --

"I'd like a 12 pack."

"What would you like?"

"How about a 12 pack of taupe satin pumps."

Trooper York said...

I know don't it suck big time.

I don't get to get a six pack of Peroni and put my feet up and watch the game.

Instead I have to worry about shoes. Jeeez.

ndspinelli said...

Give the extra shoes to Rex Ryan. Were you all aware he's dropped 90lbs. and on his way to 100.

ndspinelli said...

He kind of looks like our bartender here now.

blake said...

The economics are fascinating, at least to me.

I wonder, on the shoe manufacturer's end, if there's an economic advantage in the packaging, or if it's just throwing their weight around.