Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Glory Days.......RIP





I had a friend was a big baseball player
back in high school
He could throw that speedball by you
Make you look like a fool boy
Saw him the other night at this roadside bar
I was walking in, he was walking out
We went back inside sat down had a few drinks
but all he kept talking about was

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

Well there's a girl that lives up the block
back in school she could turn all the boy's heads
Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by
and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
Her and her husband Bobby well they split up
I guess it's two years gone by now
We just sit around talking about the old times,
she says when she feels like crying
she starts laughing thinking about

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight
and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

15 comments:

chickelit said...

He and Aniss Jones.

chickelit said...

Anissa

chickelit said...

My son starts high school there next year where he was a local hero.

AllenS said...

WTF?

The Dude said...

Very sad, but that sort of thing happens, even among non-pro athletes.

windbag said...

Gun found near his side. Sad.

Titus said...

Just got back from Bogota. So fab. Stayed in The G District. Bogota is really hot now in terms of a travel desty. Women dress like whores...loved them-hot tamales.

Deva about Junior. My fav Patriot. So hot. Those arms will be missed.

tits.

blake said...

I like how Springsteen's glory days involve drinking to excess.

ndspinelli said...

Seau is the 8th player on the Chargers mid 90's Superbowl team to die before the age of 45. You know he did steroids...Titus! Just Sayn'

ndspinelli said...

Chickenlittle, I saw he lived beachfront in Oceanside.

He text his wife and kids that he loved them prior to killing himself. Nobody writes letters anymore.

chickelit said...

Chickenlittle, I saw he lived beachfront in Oceanside.

He grew up there too. Well liked, as far as I can tell. The gym I go to probably knew him. I'll try and get some inside skinny tomorrow.

Michael Haz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Haz said...

I love football, but I'm going to stop watching it if the NFL doesn't quickly do something to end the brain trauma that is hruting so many athletes after they retire.

The NFL needs to, today, issue a rule change the outlaws any hits above the shoulders. Period.

And this rule needs to remain in place until the NFL can definitively solve the problem of how to protect players' brains.

High school and college football programs need to do the same thing. "He got his bell rung; make him sit on the bench for the next series" is no longer a good coaching practice. It never should have been, but that's what is done. That, and a snort of ammonia from the trainer's kit are about all a player gets.

One of my heroes from the Packers' glory era is the late Lionel Aldridge. He was a magnificent athlete who had a personality that lit up any room he was in. He went from being a player to being a Packer's TV analyst, and was wonderful at that.

then there were signs of illness - mental illness that he and others stemmed form head trauma. He lost the TV gig, lost his family, became homeless for a time. Some loyal fans found him and got him into a medical treatment program, then a job working at the Post Office in Milwaukee.

The brain damage was too much and Aldridge, like Junior Seau and other former NFL players, took his own life.

The price it too high. This bullshit about "Hey, it's a violent game, you need a dress??" has to stop.

blake said...

Already there, amigo.

I stopped watching a year or two ago because of this. Not that it was a big sacrifice, I maybe watched 2-3 games a year.

I stopped watching boxing in the '90s for the same reason. I love the sport; I don't love watching people get murdered.

ndspinelli said...

Some sharp guys who have played the game say just get rid of helmets. What the fuck do we have to lose by trying? But, it's not just helmets. It's fame, loss of identity, years of steroids, street drugs, alcohol that all contribute to this post retirement syndrome. Concussions are probably the main reason but not the only..it's the entire culture.