Sunday, June 22, 2014

Today is one of the best days of the Year



It's Old Timers day at Yankee Stadium.

I remember when I was a kid and all of the Old-Timers were guys who played with Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhrig and Joe DiMaggio. The last guy announced was always Joe. He was a bit of a pussy. He wouldn't come if he wasn't the last one announced as the "Greatest Living Yankee." When Steinbrenner had Billy Martin come out and be announced as the new manager when he got fired.....well Joltin Joe was really pissed off. If he hadn't loved Billy he never would have come back.

All through the years it was guys like Joe and Mickey and Yogi and Whitey Ford and Elston Howard. Then you had the seventies guys like Guidry and Murcer and Roy White and Jake Gibbs. Now it is all the Ninties guys like Tino and Paul O'Neil and Bernie Williams. This year it was the first time for Johnny Damon and Matsui. Holy Cow! Those guys are Old timers now.

I remember one of the highlights was when they recognized the wives of the fallen heros. It was always an emotional moment when they announced the appearance of Mrs. Babe Ruth and Mrs. Lou Gehrig. (Can you guess which is which)

Now we have a lot more lengedary Yankees who have left us too soon. Mrs. Thurman Munson. Mrs. Billy Martin. Mrs. Catfish Hunter. Mrs. Bobby Murcer. They were all there. When they play the Thurman Munson tribute video there is not a dry eye in the house.

I remember all the years I used to go to Old timers games. I was never one for authographes but it was great to see the old timers come out and run around like they were kids. I don't go to the game much anymore. It costs way too much and I have the store and I am too busy. You see I am an Old Timer now. Going to the game takes too much out of me. But I remember it on days like today.

It's great to be a Yankee fan.

Tradition.

10 comments:

ndspinelli said...

A good friend of mine is a Yankee fan born and bred. He Tweeted me about being there for Tino's plaque ceremony. WTF??

Trooper York said...

Tino got a plaque. That is different than a monument. Paul O'Neil is getting one in August.

The only ones who have monuments are Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Miller Huggins.

All the rest including Joe D, Mickey, Thurman, Yogi and all the rest have a plaque.

Trooper York said...

Even Jeter will not get a monument.

Trooper York said...

Back when the monuments where still in the outfield in the old stadium...Mickey Rivers refused to go out there.

He said he "didn't walk on no graves yo."

ndspinelli said...

My daughter will be seeing her beloved Jeter on 7/4. Her husband got her b-day tix 2 rows from the Yankee dugout. He's a very good man. We are blessed. To have your daughter marry a good man is a true blessing.

ndspinelli said...

Tino deserves a memorial urinal in the clubhouse or water fountain in the dugout.

Trooper York said...

Oh. I thought you were blessed to have a chance to see Jeter.





Chip S. said...

Jeter already IS a monument.

At least in terms of mobility.

ndspinelli said...

Ouch! I just hope the slowest SS in the league stays healthy until July 4th.

blake said...

More World Cup talk, eh?