Saturday, March 14, 2009

Problems of a shopkeeper


So I have this girl who works for us from day one. She is a good worker who doesn't complain. Her story was that when we opened the shop we would give her one day every other week because she wanted some extra money. She worked in an insurance company but had experience because she had worked at Macy's during holiday time. So for the first year she worked and eventually started doing doing two days a week as we got busy. Then she got laid off from her job and I gave her more hours while she was looking for another full time gig. Now this was before the shit hit the fan in the economy. Still and all when she applied for jobs there were about 1,000 other people applying as well. So I told her I would give her all the hours I could. She didn't want to accept a full time gig because she still was sending out resumes and trying to get a job in insurance. But it wasn't working out and when my last full time employee didn't work out I offered her the full time gig and she accepted.


So you ask what's the problem. Well the deal is that she likes to have a cocktail or two. We actually knew her from when we were running a bar in Midtown and we know she loves the Irish bar culture. Just like me. Most of her friends are bartenders or waitresses and she hangs out with them all the time. So party time is coming up as it's St. Patrick's Day and it is always wild. Now when you are friends with the bar staff and are a regular at a joint you never pay on Paddy's day because they make so much money from the tourists and the once a year assholes. So you just drink and party and when the day is over the staff gets even more wasted the next day to blow off steam. So we gave her off on Wednesday since she would be useless. It would be ridiculous to expect her to be coherent and it is no big deal. But you see she went out last night and is already an hour late today. I am all alone in the shop just as I was last Saturday morning since the wife doesn't come in early as she opens the rest of the week and has to be "on" when she is here on Saturday. She has to mentally prepare. So I need help early on a Saturday Morning if I have a bra fitting or something or a girl who is weirded out by a straight guy helping her buy clothes. That doesn't happen all the time but is not unusual.


My dilemma is that a lot of you parents must have. How can I bust on her for behavior that I always indulged in. I mean I was never late for work. I always showed up although I will admit occasionally I was useless until I had about ten cups of coffee, two egg sandwiches and a good dump. So I have been there. I would feel like a major league hypocrite busting her when it was par for the course for me for thirty years. Now the wife is relatively a teetotaler compared to your Trooper and her attitude is different. I have to find a middle ground here where I can explain that she has to be serious about her job since jobs are not easy to come by in this economy. But also realizing that people are people and they fuck up occasionally. You have to be human you know.


Oh wait I have a bra fitting.

23 comments:

Curtiss said...

"How can I bust on her for behavior that I always indulged in."

Easy. You're the boss. It's your store. You get to make the rules.

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Trooper way. In Trooper's store.

Of course, Mrs. Trooper may have veto power, I don't know.

Trooper York said...

I know that, it's just that I have the bad habit of being able to walk in the other guys shoes. Or puke in the other guys shoes in this case.

I don't like to be a hypocrite.

Trooper York said...

What I usually do is a profane rant with a lot of cursing which is really funny and they don't know if I am serious or not but they kinda get a little quesy.

Trooper York said...

Usually I take care of employee problems on a Saturday morning before the wife shows up. One worker asked me how she was doing all confident like. I said "Do you want the truth or do you want me to sugar coat it all nicey nicey for you." "Why I want the truth of course." "Well then you basicly suck, you are horrible, I could get an armless and legless moron with Tourettes syndrome who could do a better job."

She didn't see that coming.

ricpic said...

Does she react to petting or to a good kick in the pants? Act accordingly.

Trooper York said...

Another employee said to me on a Saturday morning "You know when I first met you I was scared because you were all rough and gruff but you really are nice to your workers." "You were scared of me."
"Yes I was." "WHAT ARE YOU FUCKIN" STUPID!!"

She peed herself a little.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Ok. Seriously. It is tough, the do as I say and not as I did/do attitude that parent's have to take.

It is hard to be on your "high horse" and lecturing from a position of ...let's face it....hypocrisy.

However, you aren't her Dad. She needs to realize that if she doesn't show up for work or is unable to work (hungover so bad that she thinks her head is going to fall off or she is going to puke if she bends over...just guessing, I've NEVER been there, riiiight), that while you....a prince of a guy....will give her a second or even third chance, the rest of the world is going to kick her in the ass and not care about her at all.

Trooper York said...

You are right Dust Bunny Queen. I have talked turkey with her. But my philosphy is to realize that everybody sucks so you have to get people who suck least if you know what I mean. She works really hard and doesn't complain so I can put up with a little bullshit now and then. I just have to stay on her and tell her the truth. Bluntly. Which I do.

Ron said...

Oh, yeah I forgot about Althouse's white thong!

Michael Haz said...

Trooper, never tell a child or an employee about the way you used to be. Forget that it ever happened. You lose your authority when you admit to it.

If your employee knows that you were a hammerhead, then tell her that, yep, you grew out of it and it's time she does, too. Everyone does sooner or later, and it's her time right now.

Last, be sure she know that she's been told that showing up late, showing up drunk or wiped out equals no mo' paycheck. Period, end of story.

Than have a drink on the way home and hope for the best.

Trooper York said...

Oh I laid down the law in a profane but funny way. So I think it is all straight. Or not. Only time will tell. Paddy's day is just tough for people who like the grape. Man I can feel it let me tell you.

Trooper York said...

This little stories are just so people can get a flavor of what it is like to be a small businessman and the stuff you have to deal with so the next time time they hear some political asshole spout they might thing about it.

Anonymous said...

If she provides proof of her inebriation such as that photo, that's the equivalent of a doctor's excuse, right?

Rank has privilege. I have been known to spike my drink (Mountain Dew and Malibu--redneck attempt at culture) at work (I stay away from knives as much as possible at those times), yet I would fire an employee on the spot for doing the same.

Being late once a year, when she's normally a reliable worker? I'd laugh it off...or go have a drink and forget about it. Owning a business a great. Employing people to help you run that business is a major pain in the ass.

Trooper York said...

No Windbag it is being late every day. 10 minutes to five hours. So it is a problem. But she is a valuable employee so I have to whip her into shape. But some people never shape up.

Michael Haz said...

Paddy's day is just tough for people who like the grape. Man I can feel it let me tell you.

My mother's maiden name was McGrath. Her father, my sainted grandfather Mickey McGrath, began taking me to bars when I was three. That happy habit continued until his death at age 93, and I was in my forties. Some of the best hours of my life.

Anyhow, the pint of fine porter has been at hand since Friday evening, ans likely won't be empty until Tuesday breakfast.

Best to ya.

Penny said...

It's ALL about "hats", when it isn't ALL about "projecting".

Zachary Sire said...

Whoa...poor Darcy!

Penny said...

Why poor Darcy?

She's a sweetheart.

Zachary Sire said...

Why poor Darcy?

Am I the only one who noted what Trooper saved the photo accompanying this post as? Darcy is my kind of girl!

KCFleming said...

You gotta be cruel to be kind, Troop.

blake said...

Aw, hell, I always feel left out on these threads.

An Edjamikated Redneck said...

Ah the good old days...

Back when I was in the age of trying to work all day and drink all night I was working for my Uncle.

Uncle Sam.

With him, being late was a jailing offense, the Hell with being fired; he KNEW you wanted to get fired.

It helps develop the quality of being on time. Even if you are still hung over. Or even still drunk. Or even just staying awake and drinking coffee in the chow hall for the hour between when you finally staggered in and when you had to be at your post.

As Grandpa used to say:

You know your an adult when you start getting up to go to work at times you used to stagger in at.

Darcy said...

LOL, Trooper.

Now would you lose this photo of me, please? I'd like to forget this episode... ;-)