Saturday, November 12, 2011

We salute our Vets!


Here is another great remembrance by Allie for Veterans Day.

Allie said...

Michael, what a touching and beautiful story, that in itself is a family heirloom. I do think they were the greatest generation, the honor flights and the stories coming out of these few remaining WW2 vets are amazing, yet they tell their stories without any claim to heroism.

My family spent WW2 in Europe, we came to America on the USS General Langfitt, a troop carrier. I took care of a great old gent back when I was still in nursing, I had a rare spare moment to sit and chat, he showed me his WW2 scrapbook, he turned to a page that contained a USS General Langfitt bulletin! He was on the Langfitt on his way to the Philippines in 1945. I then told him that was the same ship I came to America on as a three old old refugee. He died several months later, his family had left an envelope for me in the nursing office, in it was the bulletin! I cherish it and the short time I had to get to know that old Vet.

15 comments:

MamaM said...

The stories that ring the truest are ones which balance and reveal opposites. Darkness and the light, loss and connection, life and death.

These elements, present in the previous story, are what imbued it with power and credibility.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I saw that label you put on my story, LOL.

Trooper York said...

We kid but we love baby.

Lots of commies love to post here.

Winding down said...

There is alot of crap the blogosphere....your site is a refuge from that. Thanks for your ..effort and creative spirit.

Trooper York said...

Thank you Winding Down. It is always very encouraging to hear from new commenters.

Sometimes I put up long convoluted weird stuff that might be hard to follow. I hope you enjoy it and remembr that there are always several levels to what is going on.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

Trooper York said...

Oh shit. I left off an "e" and Sixty Grit is gonna bitch slap me.

Titus said...

What about my story about the dyke veterans?

I thought it was the most touching.

touching.

Trooper York said...

It was Titus.

But if we touch the dyke veterans we will be sued for sexual harrasment.

You can't be too careful these days.

If you don't believe ask Herman Cain.

TTBurnett said...

Wonderful story, Allie. Thank you.

TTBurnett said...

Winding down: Good to see someone new here.

Trooper says, "Sometimes I put up long convoluted weird stuff that might be hard to follow."

That's true. But it's his blog.

Now, if you, as a commenter, do the same, watch out, because Sixty Grit will call you all sorts of bad names.

The moral of the story: Keep comments short & pithy. Also, run them through your Microsoft Word spell- and grammar-checkers, so there are never any chinks in your armor.

It looks like a friendly place, but it still is the internet.

Just sayin'.

Trooper York said...

Hey we all have our sore points.

With Sixty it is spelling and punctuation.

With Titus it is his butt.

We just have to cut each other enough slack even if they won't cut it for us.

It's like cheese. Just sayn'

chickelit said...

Good to see someone new here.

You're overlooking Kitty, Tim.

ooonaughtykitty said...

Meow.

:)

TTBurnett said...

Chickelit: Like Trooper's Dad, I now have two jobs, so I don't read blog comments in the same detail I once did.

As a result, so far I've missed Kitty. Is that Kitty from Carlsbad?

Just curious.

chickelit said...

As a result, so far I've missed Kitty. Is that Kitty from Carlsbad?

If so (and I doubt it) that could be problematic.

She's pretty quiet so far. I think she deserves a chance and a drink.