Sunday, March 4, 2012

Alex Webster RIP

 
 
 
When I was a kid my old man would take me to Fairfield University to watch the Giants training camp. They had many stars but my favorite was Alex Webster. He was great w/ kids, would sign autographs even when tired @ the end of two a day workouts. Webster wasn't as fast or as good as many running backs[he was white after all!] but he played hard on every down. He died yesterday in Florida @ age 80.

I met Alex Webster at a lunchen when he was the Giants coach after Allie Sherman was fired. HE was kind enough to hang around and talk to a bunch of us fans who attended the CYO rubber chicken dinner. He talked about the team and about his admiration for the Mara's who owned the team. Some of the older guys were downright angry at the time because that was the begining of the long decline of the Giants. The next season Alex won Coach of the year but he got fired a few years later when they started flying planes with banners over the stadium.

I also ran into him one night with Andy Robestelli in PJ Clarkes which was a big Giants hang out back in the day. I offered to buy them a drink but they were only drinking seltzer water. I didn't intrude on their conversation but just thanked them for the classy way that they represented my team.

He was a good man.

Thanks Nick.

3 comments:

The Dude said...

Emmanuel Lewis played football?

Chip S. said...

This guy was his dad, right?

ndspinelli said...

Prego. Did the Giants win this past Super Bowl?