Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Raylan is an interesting book




Elmore Leonard has reversed the usual trajectory of film to book. He has written a book based on the TV series that is based on his books. Think about that one for a second.

He has taken the characterization of Rayland Givens that was created in the series "Justified" and written a best seller based on three new loosely connected stories using the characters from the series. You can recognize how he has changed up some of the facts of the matter as the Crowes track the same behavior as the Bennett clan of season two. And he introduces a couple of characters who appear in Season 3 including the nurse who steals kidneys who Raylan has to shoot. It is a hoot and well worth getting especially on your kindle.

Elmore Leonard is one of the best of all time in the mystery suspense field and he hasn't lost his touch. He is also a great Western author and I particularly enjoy some of his Western novels. So many of the elitist shit heads look down on people who enjoy Westerns but I love nothing better than reading something from Elmer Kelton or Max Brand or classics from Zane Grey. Elmore Leonard's westerns like "Valdez is Coming" can stand up to any of them.

Although Raylan Givens is just about his best character.

It is a quick fun read. Highly recommended for leisure reading in the hammock on a sunny afternoon.

20 comments:

chickelit said...

I thought Raylan was a fiber.

Trooper York said...

No that is Rayon.

Which was what the backup singers would often say about Ray Charles.

"Where's Ray?"
"Rayon Marvletta and he ain't done yet."

Chip S. said...

Raylan in a whole heap o' trouble if his wife finds out about Marvletta.

The Dude said...

When asked how one might become a Raylette, Ray's response was "You gotta let Ray."

At least that is the story I have heard.

ndspinelli said...

So Banlon must be the bastard child?

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Awesome!!

Our favorite show and one of our favorite authors.

We don't have a kindle, so we will do the old fashioned thing and buy a 'real' book. I'm getting it for my hubby. He will be THRILLED.

chickelit said...

@DBQ: I'm kindlefrei too. I enjoy blogging about books not on kindle. For the other half.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I find that there is something sensual about real books. The smell, the tactile aspects of the paper and the cover as well as the heft of the book.

I like the idea of used books and thinking about how many other different kinds people have held that particular book, enjoyed it and passed it along. Wondering if they got the same enjoyment or boredom as I was getting from the book.

Kindle sounds interesting, but I think I will always want a 'real' book first.

Darcy said...

My sister sent me the link to this book last week. We love us some Raylan. :)

And Sixty - you're just starting the series - what do you think?

Last season was phenomenal. Not to be missed. This season is fun too, but it doesn't have me on the edge of my seat as much. Also, my seat's smaller. Heh. I bragged there. Sorry.

MamaM said...

So Banlon must be the bastard child?

Him and Rayban.

The Dude said...

Darce, just finished up season 1 yesterday - was thinking the body count was lower than it should be in the middle episodes, but the finale made up for it.

Don't want to put too many spoilers in here, but some of the folks that got killed needed killin', just sayin'.

Raylan has managed to maintain his cool demeanor throughout, with the exception of his dealings with his women(s). Boy needs to slow down a bit.

As I mentioned, the fact that the series is filmed in CA is a big minus for me - seriously, does it cost that much to film in actual Appalachia? Next thing you know someone might suggest that things in Hollywood are all make believe.

Thank goodness that we have reality shows - at least they are real, right Troop?

Darcy said...

Sounds like you are enjoying it, Sixty! Well, aside from the location issues.

Raylan is just the coolest character I've watched in a long time. I really enjoy all the phony accents, too. LOL I mean it. They are overdone and dramatic, but I think they capture the mood/attitude they're going for well. Dunno how else to say that.

chickelit said...

OK, if Darcy likes it I know I will too. I just added "Justified" to the Netflix queue.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What is Justified , a western, shoot em up? Lots of violence and sex? Maybe I'll try it on Netflix too.

chickelit said...

I've gotten lots of good recommends from trooper's blog.

The Dude said...

Yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, Darrrrrrrrrrrrrrcccccccceeeeeeee, I knoooooowwwwwwwwwww what yewwwwwww meannnn.

The woman who plays Ava sometimes almost sounds authentic.

I am enjoying it - the episodes have enough action to prevent them from dragging, at least that's my perception. And I really like the characters. I will leave it to the reader to figure out who in the opening sequence I most resemble. ;^)

The Dude said...

Hey Troop, I looked all over your site but couldn't find your Amazon link. Had to buy it through Althouse.


















Kidding...

Anonymous said...

Gawd! Sixty, I thought you lost your mind there for a minute.

The Dude said...

Yeah, yeah...

I funny that way...