Saturday, March 10, 2012

Coffey Street Pier


We started the tour by visiting the Coffey Street Pier which is now named the Louis Valentino Memorial pier after a guy I went to grammar school who was a fireman who died in the line of duty.

We had filmed some great footage for the show on the pier this week but I don't know if they are going to use it. So we took the kids to see it and the great view. They have set up this big rocks as an art display to show that we are in Red Hook. It was an old industrial area that was very dilapidated and dangerous but is now one of the most trendy places in the city.

It was a warm and sunny day and it was beautiful looking at the ships in the bay and the seagulls and terns flying and squawking. I promised my granddaughter that I would take her fishing there like my uncle used to do for me when I was her age.

It was very peaceful and let me forget some stuff that was bothering me.

11 comments:

blake said...

Grandchildren.

My kids need to get busy.

The Dude said...

My first grandchild arrived two days ago.

I think I am the first one of my brothers to be alive when his first grandchild was born.

blake said...

Congrats, Sixty! My dad loved having the grandkids. Glad I could give him a few.

The Dude said...

I am not too thrilled - the child lives far away and is a Y*nkee. I am sure I'll get over it. I better.

blake said...

Ah, Yankees aren't so bad. At least
he's not a Dude.

The Dude said...

She is not a dude, nor Dude, who, I understand, abides.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

blake said...

I'm just saying, you've let your thinking get all uptight here.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Grandpa Grit! For the grandchild and for being alive.

Anonymous said...

Yankees aren't all bad, ya know.

The Dude said...

Got that right. I am tryin' to get my mind right, but it ain't easy. Seein' man with no eyes and eatin' 50 hard boiled eggs hearin' hound dogs on my trail.

I at least figured out a rationale for the poor child's initials, but naming her a commie version of the worst name in the history of my family is giving me nightmares. The good news is I will probably be crushed under a shed long before she even realizes I ever existed. How's that for lookin' on the bright side, eh?

MamaM said...

Congratulations SixtyG on the new branch!

Bumpa was the name our eldest attached to his outdoor grandpa. The other one he called the Far-Away Grandpa. Both names revealed part of their character. Like a cat drawn to the quietest, least interested or most nonchalant person, he found them both intriguing and received something good from each in return even though contact was limited. Here's hoping the new addition will bring grace to the you, the family and the name she carries.