Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Don't give that man a cigar!


I hate the fact that I don't get to enjoy a stogie now and again like I used to back in day. You see the wife has given up smoking for the past year or so and I can't have cigar because that gives her the urge and I don't want that to happen. I never was a cigarette guy but I always did enjoy a good stogie. We used to smoke them when we were out bouncing around in the eighties. I mean we were deep into the hobby. We had cigar cases and cutters and a humidor. For a while I stored some stuff at Nat Sherman's where they would hold our stuff. We loved going to the Cigar Aficionado events and the occasional cigar cruise around Manhattan.


We used to adjourn to the backyard on a soft summer night with a bottle of wine and a cigar. But now if we sit in the back she gets the urge to smoke and that is too cruel. So we stayed inside all last summer. I hope this year will be better.


But now I don't get to smoke many stogies.


Only when I play golf.

5 comments:

dbp said...

On the way back from LI, just get off a stop or two early and enjoy a stroll and a lonsdale.

Michael Haz said...

I miss cigars. Not that I was a big smoker, but a really good cigar (maduro wrapper) on a summer afternoon, lying in the hammock strung between two red pines was a wonderful treat. Especially of there was a tumbler of good scotch in the other hand.

Be still, my post-surgical heart.

Peter V. Bella said...

Look, Spring is coming. Take walks, fire up a stogie, and enjoy. Exercise+pleasure=Happy Trooper York.

Anonymous said...

Never had the tobacco habit and never was properly introduced to the delights of cigars. Had two partners who were into them. Bought them both a sample box for Christmas one year.

Just before I handed the one partner his box, he grabbed my shoulders and said, "You've got to help me. I've got to stop smoking." I paused for about three seconds, handed him the box, and wished him a "Merry Christmas!"

chickelit said...

But now I don't get to smoke many stogies.

I only stoke a smogie when playing cards-outside. Usually macanudo.