Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Help, Help me Rhoda


Did you ever think about spin-off's?

You know when they spin a new show off of a character in another series. Mary Tyler Moore had several. Rhoda. Phyllis. Even a drama series staring Lou Grant. All in the Family spun off Maude, Good Times, and the Jeffersons. I think the most successful spin off of a character was probably "Frazier" which was spun off of "Cheers." Unless it was "The Jefferson's" .

I wonder if a blog can be considered a spinoff? A lot of people consider this blog a spin-off of Althouse. I have to say I learned a lot about blogging by reading and commenting at Althouse and I want to thank the professor for that. We have had our ups and downs but without a doubt she is a talented and generous blogger. She recently had a post asking lurkers to post on her site. I even found out that I had a lurker here! That was pretty cool I must say.

So I don't know if that makes me Rhoda. I wouldn't want to be Lou Grant because the only thing worse than a journalist is a lawyer. But maybe I can aspire to be Jimmie JJ Walker of "Good Times."

DY-NO-MITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

chickelit said...

A lot of people consider this blog a spin-off of Althouse.

Meade said that first right?

Trooper York said...

No, he said he thought Althouse was a "spinner."

That's not quite the same thing.

So to speak.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure we could have a semantic war over this topic. FWIW, we met at the blond blogger lady's site, and I followed you here. Who's the lurker? I thought a lurker read, but didn't post. Every blog must have several of those. It wasn't until about three or four years ago I even knew to read the comment section. It opened up a whole new world.

Peter V. Bella said...

We're movin on up...

Penny said...

Love in an elevator?

ricpic said...

For all my problems with Althouse, opinionwise, the thing that makes her blog so great is its catholic, small c quality.

rcocean said...

I just hope you don't end up like "Joanie Loves Chachi" or "Hello Larry".

chickelit said...

God I hope the network isn't cancelling you! Last year were your highest ratings ever!

blake said...

Troop--

Most successful spin-off "Frazier"?

How about "Laverne and Shirley" and "Mork and Mindy"--both spun off of "Happy Days"? Never mind the three cartoon series, "Blansky's Beauties", "Joanie Loves Chachi", and didn't they do a spin off about Arnold or Al?

Of course, except for "Joanie Loves Chachi", the spin-offs were more tie-ins. "Here's a character on your favorite show! Watch the new show starring him or her!"