Saturday, March 22, 2014

Eye eye captain.



So I haven't been feeling all that good lately. Nothing serious but I am very tired these days. We are doing a lot of work and it is taking a lot out of the both of us are just exhausted. But I have been having a problem with one of my eyes.

I have been having it throb for a while and now I am starting to see flashes in my extreme peripheral vision. Sort of like a flashlight would make out in the woods. I was pretty worried. I thought I was having a stroke.

So I go to the cardiologist to be sure and it all checks out.  My numbers were good and the doctor said I had nothing to worry about. I wasn't having a stroke. The throbbing was just stress. It happens to everyone. But he told me I had to go to the Ophthalmologist right away to get it checked out.

Good luck with that on short notice. The guy my mom went to didn't have an appointment until May 23 and the local guy from Third Place didn't have an appointment until the middle of April. So I went on the internet to find the next  available appointment that day. There was one. Downtown. On Willoughby St.

Now I have to explain about downtown Brooklyn. When I was a kid it was a treat to go downtown to all the department stores. My mom would bundle us up and take us on the bus to go shopping. Abraham and Strauss. EJ Korvetts. Mays. Mc Cory's.  You would go from floor to floor. She would buy clothes on one floor. House goods on another. It was a big treat for us to go to the toy department. The streets would be filled with happy shoppers around the holidays. Families out shopping in Brooklyn's great shopping area before there were malls or stuff like that. Before people would go to Jersey to beat the sales tax.

Now it is totally different. There is a very different vibe. Sort of hip hop with an undertow of violence. We got out of the cab and went to the doctors. He checked me out thoroughly and I was ok. It seems that it is just part of getting old. We all get floaters in our eyes. That is the jelly breaking away from the membrane or something.  The streaks are when it is in the process  of breaking away. My eyes check out perfectly. I just have to watch out if it is like the forth of July. Then it would be a detached retina. Otherwise it is just the result of becoming an even older white man.

Did you ever listen to a Crack Emcee diatribe about how it feels being the only black guy in a crowd. Imagine that in the opposite. Sort of a film negative so to speak. Just me and Lisa. Oh and the doctor.

Anywho when we were done we decided to walk to Macy's so Lisa could get some make up. It was quite a trip. When we get there it was pretty much the same as the doctors office. Right in the  middle of the store they set up a DJ booth and were rocking out to hip hop tunes. The employees were dancing instead of working which made shopping a joy. We got our stuff and we got out of there.

Thankfully everything is all right. I just have to rest more. Under doctors orders.

18 comments:

blake said...

Glad you're okay. I mean, except for the old thing.

I'm feeling that myself, alas.

I've been the only white guy in a room more than once. And non-whites are pretty upfront with their racism.

Trooper York said...

You ever want to see some microaggresive racism than you should be in a room with a bunch of chinks. Or gooks. That some racism right there.

(It's micro because they are so tiny)

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

LOL.

Take it easy Troops. Good to hear everythings ok.

Michael Haz said...

Glad to hear that you are okay. And I really like that photo of the two of you. Nothing beats happiness.

Downtown Brooklyn? Somehow I imagined that Manhattan was NYC's downtown. Such a rube. Now I'll have to hunt around on Google maps to see what the neighborhoods look like.

Trooper York said...

Think Somalia without the charm.

Trooper York said...

Lisa was looking guilty because she had poked me in the eye with a curtain rod a couple of weeks ago during a cleaning frenzy.

Trooper York said...

I told her I want an eye patch like John Ford.

Trooper York said...

I mean I got poked and probed and shit and she got the presents and I got nothing.

That's not fair.

rcocean said...

Yeah, I was thrown by the "Downtown Brooklyn too". I've been in situations where I was the only vanilla man - didn't pick up any racist vibes from anyone.

Remember driving to LaGuardia on my last trip to NYC and taking a wrong turn - man, looked like a tough neighborhood. It made Oakland look like Leave it to Beaver.

rcocean said...

Glad your eyes are OK.

ndspinelli said...

We went to a wedding on the south side of Chicago. The bride was a coworker and friend. Her dad was a recently deceased pastor of an AME church. There were 400 folks @ the wedding. My bride, myself, and two other women were the only crackers. There was no liquor @ the reception, just pitchers of iced tea and lemonade on the table. I had to take a leak and walked into the men's room. Well, there were dudes drinking out of pint bottles, blowing weed, and banging heaters. I took a few swigs and went back to the table.

I've been in situations, social and business, many times where I was a distinct minority. Like anything, the more you do it the less it seems odd.

ndspinelli said...

Like the dago t-shirt.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

The Macy's sounds just like Mr. Selfridge.

bagoh20 said...

As someone who works in Compton, CA, I can tell you that being the only White guy is a lot more unnerving. To know that you are considered the cause of everyone's problems, and are surrounded by people who statistically are 11 times as likely to hurt you than you are to hurt them kinda sucks a lot more than being surrounded by people who feel personally guilty and responsible for your life's difficulties, and who feel they owe you something. If Crack thinks we don't see, he needs to take the plank from his own eye.

See how I made that cleverly all on topic.

blake said...

Banging heaters?

ndspinelli said...

Banging heaters=Smoking fags=smoking cigs.

Michael Haz said...

I saw Banging Heaters open for Smoking Fags at SXSW.

Aridog said...

Bagoh20 ....dude, you are nothing if not clever. Seriously.