Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Keeping your ear to the ground and getting it cut off


I have been pretty busy lately as a lot of stuff is happening. We had been indecisive as to whether or not we were going to stay in New York. Or move to a new space. I managed to negotiate a pretty decent deal for my current space so it looks like we are staying put for the next five years.

We had a meeting at the store to sign the lease and pay the bribes we needed to keep the space. Everything went swimmingly as we paid the price and all was well. I haven't had a chance to chat with them for over a year  and we had a chance to catch up.

These guys are old line Mafia. The real mafia not the bullshit Mafia. I was asking them about Casa Rosa the restaurant on the corner.



You might remember that I had a beef with the owner and have not been going there for the past three years. Well he passed away this past September while I was on the cruise and I got sick so I didn't have a chance to get to talk to the family or anything. It seems their lease was up and they got tossed at the end of January. Now I heard that this Jewish lady had bought the building for about 3 mill. She was a restaurateur and she planned to bring one of her joints to that spot. Well for some reason she decided that she wasn't going to do that. I wonder why?

My landlord told me that Markey who owns the fancy pizzeria on Summit St that BeyoncĂ© loves was interested in the space (pictured serving his kid and her school friends in the pizzeria). But he didn't want to pay the $14,000 a month that the lady was asking. Now Markey was the guy who got stabbed at Joes Superette a couple of years ago supposedly over a woman by Bennie who is connected with the guys at the Bagel store who are a Genovese crew. It seems that they are having an ongoing beef. Markey is with the Colombos and has one of them with a no show job there. Anyway now Bennie is taking to robbing the pizzeria when Markey or the Colombo guy is not there. He is just walking in with a piece and taking everything out of the register. Now it hasn't been in the news because nobody is reporting anything. Bennie is locked about something else right now so they are all laying low. They are supposedly going to have a sit down soon or they are going to take care of it themselves one way or another. In any event I am not going to buy any bagels or pizza anytime soon. Not that it matters. I can't eat that shit anyway anymore so who gives shit. It is just good to know what is going on so I am not in the wrong place at the wrong time so to speak.

The downside is that the lady who bought Casa Rosa is no looking to sell it as she was "encouraged" not to put her restaurant in that space. That means the block will be dead going into the spring. If Markey can pull it off and transfer his restaurant that will help me a lot. The pretentious cunts who go there are the perfect customers for my new lingerie store. So lets hope they sort that out soon.

Now I will have to concentrate on renovations to the back store. I am going to be on busy motherfucker.

13 comments:

Chip S. said...

Restaurants are risky businesses.

This is a good example of how the mafia prevents people from ruining their lives thru gambling.

Trooper York said...

Hey the lady didn't want to gamble that she could open a restaurant that they wouldn't torch. So she is going to sell the building. She got a good deal and will pass it on to the next customer. Her best bet though is to sell it to Markey and his guys and get out of Dodge.

Both Joey Gallo and Doc Holliday agree.

ndspinelli said...

You whine more about working than Uncle Joe on Petticoat Junction.

Trooper York said...

That's because I shouldn't have to work.

I demand reparations.

The Dude said...

Maynard G. Krebs writ large.

windbag said...

The only time in my life I grew a beard, someone called me Maynard G. Krebs. Odd, since I'm about three times the size of Gilligan.

windbag said...

Restaurants are risky businesses.

Damn right. As predictable as people are, they sure are unpredictable.

Chip S. said...

Yes, windbag. It's amazing that more restaurant owners don't end up like the nutjobs at Amy's Baking Company, made notorious by Kitchen Nightmares.

windbag said...

I tell my crew that they're lucky they work for me, because most restaurant owners are out of control drunks who scream at everyone around them. I just pass out in the office.

Methadras said...

You're in Brooklyn right? So how are the douchebag hipsters there right now?

ndspinelli said...

Trooper got some Negro in him. I'm thinking of that great dialogue between Hopper and Christopher Walken in that early Tarantino flick where Hopper tells Walken if he's Sicilian then he's part nigger.

rcocean said...

Wow, that's the great piece of fiction writing, so what's the the real story?

I mean that's too crazy to be real.

Note: Written by someone who's only been in NYC for 7 days as a tourist.

Trooper York said...

It is absolutely true in every respect.

I try to stay out of the neighborhood drama as much as I can.

The girl in the story came up to me and the wife one night at the wine and cheese and tried to tell us all about it and we just begged off because we didn't know anything about it.

But my landlord wanted to walk down memory lane. "Remember Nunzio and Enzo. He caught a stroke."

Waddayagonnado.