Monday, March 24, 2014

Heck of job Artie Bucco



So I have been telling you that I see Artie Bucco all over  the neighborhood lately. Artie or John Ventimiglia (his real name) has just moved into  Carroll  Gardens this winter and I see him almost every day. He has a role on the Tom Selleck  vehicle "Blue Bloods" which films in New York so I guess he wanted to come back to Brooklyn. I know he used to live in Park Slope and now lives a few blocks from me in Carroll Gardens.

All this winter he was walking up and down Court St wearing a hat and sunglasses and talking into his handsfree Blue tooth like a crazy person. I ran into him at the deli a couple of times as he is getting some cold cuts from Gourmet Fresh which is on the corner of my block. That is the joint where Danny the Deli Clerk from Masteleone's ended up after they sold out to some yuppies. The Arabs who used to run Key Food set up this up scale grocery but are smart enough to hire a neighborhood guy to run the deli counter so they don't lose the old timers so much. Anyway this mook had ordered some cold cuts when I came up and started bantering with Danny. "What do you want now?" "Hey take it easy and slice your baloney you miserable Popeye look alike before I write another bad Yelp review you miserable prick." He was watching us with his eyes bugging out. You see some hipster twat wrote a nasty review about the deli counter and I think she mentioned me. She went and demanded that Danny change his gloves when he sliced her order because she was allergic to gluten or something. She mentions that she overheard some body talking to the clerk and making fun of her. I bet that was me.

Anyway guess what happens? Artie decides to walk into Lee Lee's. He was shopping for sunglasses of which we have a couple of big displays. Now they are mostly girlie but we have some aviators that can go either way. I wasn't there at the time as I was dealing with the sewer line repair back at the apartment. But Lisa had a chance to talk to him. He introduced himself as John and Lisa didn't let on that she recognized him. He was looking for a specific type of shades that we didn't have but she gave the spiel that she always does about how we are opening a new store in the back but we have plus sized clothes that she designed and manufactured. He was impressed and said he had some friends who are always looking for quality plus sized clothing. Maybe Janice? Anyway he was very nice and Lisa had a nice conversation with him.

I bet he is going to come back because guys like that all ways want to be in with the in crowd.. So now Lee Lee's can be a place he  can come in the neighborhood where people know him and he can get the scoop on what is happening. My question is this. Should I run up a quick script for "Blue Bloods" that he can submit to the powers that be. His character is an Italian American Chief of Patrol who is one of the underlings to the Commissioner played by Tom Selleck.  I figure we can use the story of the two mooks who got in a knife fight at Joes Supperette over the cooze that ran the card store. John's character can be the uncle of the girl who had moved out of the neighborhood but has to come back to deal with the two Mafia familes that are involved in the dispute. I think it would be pretty easy to write a script for that show.  You got Mob guys, violence, the neighborhood. You know my specialty. You just have to make the Commissioner be a pompous dick, the daughter the DA be a commie cunt and the New Kid on the Block detective  be an asshole. Simple.

Of course it is a dick move to hand somebody a script like that. Even though he might be into it since it would have a great role for him in it. I wouldn't do it. But it would be pretty funny.

30 comments:

windbag said...

Tell him you wrote the part just for him and offer him 15% off anything at Lee Lee's...he just might bite. At least that way, it wouldn't be a total dick move. More like a limp dick move.

rcocean said...

She mentions that she overheard some body talking to the clerk and making fun of her. I bet that was me.

Lol!

blake said...

Wait, the reviewer mentioned somebody making fun of her? Is that the "her", the Yelp reviewer?

Trooper York said...

Yes. In fact I make fun of her every time I am in there on the off chance she is still there.

I get on the cold cut line and tell Danny "Hey you knucklehead go take a shower before you cut that cheese." He replies "Fuck you asshole." I say "Oh yeah well that is going in my next Yelp review. Which way is Whole Foods."

It's like the Algonquin Round Table.

Aridog said...

I cannot give you a reason why, just a gut instinct...but do not give this guy a script. I happen to think your writing is better than that...but I am a snot nosed know nothing. Hey, you got me reading fiction...after some 30+ years of ignoring it. You can't be bad, right?

Some reason says in my skull, bad move. Maybe how you've described him. I can be wrong...I am wrong a whole bunch. If he's been nice to Lisa, good. See how he is in a couple months.

Not sure I mentioned it but in college (Jurassic period) one of my good friends and frat brothers was a guy from Queens (19 yoa and still didn't drive a car???) and his stories about the neighborhood were fascinating...he even hooked in the guys from Chicago. I know you already know it, but NYC is something special...love it or leave it, it cannot be duplicated. That's us boon-dockers talking now!

NYC has always been a treasure and always will be...but tell you the truth, a engineer friend of mine in Jacksonville, Florida, just sent me a photo that said: "Here we salt Margaritas, not roads!"

After this winter... Daaaahm, I may listen.

blake said...

Never give a screenplay unprompted.

Never.

No one will read it. The smart ones won't even accept it, since it becomes a future legal liability, should they get involved in a project similar to your screenplay.

Just don't.

Trooper York said...

Oh I wasn't going to do that. I know that is a dick move. But if we ever get in conversation I would mention to him what a great story that could be for his character. We could co-write it. I mean I could write it and he could put his name on it. That might give it an in.

It was just an idle thought.

I have the terrible hubris to think I can do it better than the douchenozzles who write for episodic TV. That is why Justified fascinates me. They manage to approximate Elmore Leonards style. Of course his son writes many of the scripts but they do a much better job of capturing his sensibility than they did for Robert Parker in the old "Spenser for Hire" series.

Parker started writing the scripts himself and did a couple of the TV movies of Spenser. In contrast the Jesse Stone movies starring Tom Selleck are very much true to Parkers sensibility so much so that the writer was hired to continue the series of novels.

Like I said it was just an idle thought. I won't do it. It wouldn't be cool.

Trooper York said...

I find if you keep things casual and don't get obsessed about than sometimes it can happen. That was what happened with the reality show. We casually talked about it with Stacy and it happened in the natural course of things.

Trooper York said...

I know how to play the game.

Trooper York said...

If it is good then other people will fight for it because they are getting something out of it. If the script has a juicy part for Ventimiglia's character he would move heaven and earth to get it made.

Trooper York said...

But know one thing. If it moves forward blake I would rely on you for some sage advice.

Or Rosemary advice or thyme advicee. You know what I mean there Garfunkel?

windbag said...

I forgot to weigh in on St. Patrick's Day with my only two Irish jokes. I was probably delirious from the corned beef and cabbage.

What's a seven-course Irish meal? A six pack and a baked potato.

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman? None.

Erin go bragh, y'all.

Trooper York said...

Paddy came over to Woodside, NY from the old sod and his friend Liam tells him they are going to the beach to meet girls at Coney Island.

Paddy says "Aye that sounds grand but I have a wee problem. I don't look dashing in a swim suit as I am a true Irishman."

Liam says "Ah that's not a problem me boyo just put a potato in your trunks and all will be brilliant."

So off the Coney Island they go on the F train. Paddy goes to get a couple of beers and is confused.
"Liam I don't understand. All the fair colleens are laughing and running away from me like I have the plague. I did as you said and put the potato in me swim trunks."

"THE FRONT OF YOUR SWIM TRUNKS YOU BLITHERING IDJIT! THE FRONT!"

windbag said...

I watched "The Commitments" on St. Patrick's Day to celebrate the day. Best quote in the movie is the one about the Irish being the blacks of Europe.

Trooper York said...

If you want to see a great flick in the same vein rent "The Snapper" which is the sequel to "The Commitments." It stars the Irish guy from Star Trek and is based on another Roddy Doyle novel. You will really enjoy it.

ndspinelli said...

Great jokes windbag. And the Palestinians are the negroes of the Middle East.

MamaM said...

The thought is the prompt. Receive it as an invitation, one that arrived within the Artie/John Blue Bloods framework, to try writing a script regardless of how or where it ends up.

Last night I started working on a picture/illustration I'd had in mind, something I'd sketched out twice and was pretty sure I wanted to do; yet the end result, what showed up in living color was something quite different than I'd envisioned. Better? I can't say, because I don't have the "other" for comparison, but went beyond what I'd imagined. And today, two more ideas arrived, with sketches in the journal.

It's a process, not an end game. Write the script. Use the framework, base it on the Artie/John character, and put it together without the overlay of expectation that it will go anywhere other than your computer. Then see what shows up! Or where it leads next.

The Dude said...

Working title "Twenty Miles of Bad Road".

Or, perhaps "Twenty Miles from Bald Head Mountain".

Or "Even From Twenty Miles Away I Can See Your Total Lack of Acting Ability".

I am only here to help.

MamaM said...

Twenty Miles of Bumpy Roads and Detours, Only to Run Out of Gas!

MamaM said...

It's pot hole season up in the north country, plus it's SNOWINGAGAIN!

bagoh20 said...

If the roles were reversed, and you were a big TV producer, and he a budding actor; you know damned well he'd ask you for an acting shot in one of your shows.

Find a classy way to ask him if he'd be interested. Once you know him a little better, tell him you have the script, and ask if he's interested in reading it. If he says no, then he wouldn't have read it no matter how you got it to him anyway. The worst that can happen is you lose a customer, but that won't happen if you handle it respectfully. I know about this stuff, because sometimes I watch TV shows.

blake said...

Well, if anyone can make it happen, it's you, Troop.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

The Snapper is a good movie.

I liked Artie when he shot the rabbit eating his veggies and then ate it.

ndspinelli said...

I hate to nitpick, but Artie actually ended up cooking it for some late night diners.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

We are business associates of the manager of one of Clint Eastwood's ranches. Do business with him all the time and while we haven't personally met with Mr. Eastwood, his ranch manager has some interesting and hilarious stories about how people just won't stop harassing him and Clint.

It is pretty much a guarantee that if you hand a script to the ranch manager to give to Eastwood, it will end up in the trash. Poor Clint has to constantly dodge people trying to get close to him, who want to give him scripts, who want autographs, people lurking on this property and one ladies who want to get lucky. What a horrible way to live. Eastwood has no privacy.

So....if you want to hand a script to a famous person, the likelihood is that it will go nowhere. They have screeners for this sort of thing.

On the other hand....what is the worst can happen? They say no and dodge you from now on.

bagoh20 said...

From the other end it depends who you are as an actor, how famous, how popular. If you are only semi-successful, then you might be concerned that "hey this guy might actually have written something good, and I would be getting first dibs, so maybe it's worth a look."

On the other hand, if they are very successful, then they don't need it, and any good script will get to them anyway though other channels so "leave me alone".

Trooper York said...

Like I said it was an idol thought.

I think I am going to see a lot of this mook since he is the kind of guy who wants to pose as a neighborhood guy. You know be in with the in crowd so to speak. I just thought if would be pretty funny. But I am not going to pursue it unless the opportunity knocks.

Trooper York said...

Like I said it was an idol thought.

I think I am going to see a lot of this mook since he is the kind of guy who wants to pose as a neighborhood guy. You know be in with the in crowd so to speak. I just thought if would be pretty funny. But I am not going to pursue it unless the opportunity knocks.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Well.....once he gets to know you and Lisa it would probably be OK to introduce your writing to him and maybe drop a script on him. That would be different than some unknown guy running up and shoving a script or hawking an idea without any personal connection.

Good luck. It would be awesome to see your writing acted out on the Big or Little screen.

windbag said...

Invite him here.