Saturday, March 29, 2014

Joey Gallo's Lament


Cousin Mick looked at Little Joe and said “So what do you have to say for yourself you greasy piece of shyte. Don’t be wasting my time boyo or you will live to regret it.” “I can’t spill it here Detective. I don’t want everyone to hear our business. Can’t we go somewhere to talk private like.” “Ah its secrets he’ll be telling me now Liam doncha know?” Uncle Liam grunted. “Well I suppose we can sit over in the booth in the back. Ryan you stay at the bar. Excuse me Uncle.”
Mick got up and walked to the single booth in the back near the juke box. It had filthy stained leather and a big rip in one of the seats where you could see the stuffing and the springs. Toomy’s wasn’t much for maintenance. Or cleaning. Or sanitation. Even the roaches scieved it. Mick sat on the cleaner side and beckoned to Little Joe and had him sit on the broken seat. Little Joe sat down and shivered.
“So you slimy douchebag what do you have to say for yourself” said Cousin Mick? “I want to thank you for letting me go Detective. So I thought I could help you out. You know the beating of the longshoreman over at the Three Fours?” “I am aware” said Cousin Mick. “What do you know?” “Well I saw Apples from down the Slope and the Snake grab him up and take him into a car that day. He owed the vig for the last three months and they were going to fuck him up. As an example or something. That Apples don’t know his own strength the fuck.” “Now I know you are funning with me. There is no way that the Snake would be running a shy down in Red Hook. The Gallo’s would blow them up.” “They are pushing their way into the neighborhood Detective. The word is that Old Man Profaci gave them the go-ahead. The Gallo’s are on the way out. Everybody knows.”
Cousin Mick looked at him doubtfully.  There was some truth to what this knucklehead was saying. “So you are telling me that you are going to testify against the Snake? Somehow I don’t believe that.” “Testify? Who the fuck said anything about testifying? I just wanted to give you the info Detective but I ain’t gonna testify…no way…no how.” “Listen dummy if I want you to testify you are going to testify. Now get the fuck out of here and go straight home. I want you to stay home for the next couple of days. If I hear you are out in the bars with that fool Boriello I will have Ryan pay you a visit and teach you your manners.” “Ok, ok no problem. Stay home. I got it. Thank you.” Little Joe leapt out of his seat and practically ran out of the bar.
Cousin Mick sighed and slid out of the booth. He went back to the bar and sat on his stool next to Uncle Liam. He signaled Timmy who brought him a fresh glass and poured him a shot of the Irish. Cousin Mick picked it up and held it to the light. You did that in Toomy’s. Not to admire the whiskey. Just to make sure there wasn’t a roach in your drink. Danger averted Cousin Mick took a healthy sip. He looked over at his partner. Ryan sat back on his stool and belched. A pile of bones and debris sat on a plate in front of him next to a pint of cheap beer. He looked content. At least for now.
“Did you ever get a bad feeling Uncle back in the old country. That you heard something plausible but still thought it wasn’t the whole truth?” Uncle Liam snorted. “Truth is an elusive lover. You think she is in your grasp and she will slip away.” “Aye Uncle. Slip away she will.” Uncle Liam turned and looked Mick in the eye. “Watch your back with these Eye-talians. They are not to be trusted.” “Just as far as I can throw them Uncle. Just as far as I can throw them. Let’s go Ryan. To the Slope we will be going.”
Cousin Mick and Ryan got off of their stools and walked out of the bar. Uncle Liam looked down at his racing form and made a note. He still had a few hours of duty ahead of him this day. It would be couple of hours until the changing of the guard.

1 comment:

blake said...

It's the Unknown Knowns that getcha.