Monday, August 24, 2009

Remembrance of Things Pabst


My English friend used to live all the way at the end of Atlantic Avenue at Hicks Street where you were right at the entrance to the BQE. He lived over this old time bar called Montero's. Now this is joint that has been around for what fifty or sixty years I guess. It was owned by the same family. The dude I know from the family who ran it was a Catholic School teacher. It is an old school saloon with a pool table in the back but it had this crazy rep as a 'tough' bar. Maybe back in the day when everyone was young but most of the people who hung out there were old timers. They did have a metal cage in the front that you had to be buzzed in with. But I think that was more to keep people out that they didn't want coming in to terrorize the other patrons. They do have a pretty good juke box and a lot of artifacts to look at. Like a toilet seat hanging from the ceiling. If you like that sort of thing.

Anyway back in the day we might start drinking there or end up there at the end of the night. It was basically Bud and shots.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

1 comment:

blake said...

I feel like I've missed out because I've never visited a bar, much less one with an actual metal grate door.