Monday, June 30, 2008

The Best Years of our Lives.

Col. Robert F. Hogan has returned from overseas where he has been a prisoner of war in Nazi Germany. He goes to try to get his old job as a photographer’s assistant for the Associated Press.

Mr. Clark of the Associated Press (reading his resume) It says here you were overseas in a prisoner of war camp for the last few years. Do any photography over there?
Col. Hogan: No, I basically tried to stay alive and keep my men alive.
Mr. Clark: Well just being a prisoner of war isn’t real experience at anything. You just know how to be in jail. If I wanted a convict, maybe I would hire you. Besides I have a lot of younger men in line for this position. Sorry I just can’t help you.
Col. Hogan: But I don’t understand, doesn’t service to my country mean anything. I gave up five years of my life; all I want is a chance.
Mr. Clark: Sorry can’t help you pal. I rather trust some kid with no experience in the world. They are easier to manipulate. Plus they have this new federal program…affirmative administration….. or something like that…gives a leg up to the people without experience… hey you should try that…try something you know nothing about…I don’t know like Welding.
Col. Hogan I used to know a guy who said something like that ‘I see NOTHING! I know NOTHING!” I just never thought that was the way to get ahead.
Mr. Clark: It’s a new world bub.

1 comment:

blake said...

"So, how many times did you say you were bayonetted in the groin?"