Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hey maybe we can get her on Blogging Heads!

NY Post June 26, 2008
She definitely won't be flying home.A Queens woman was released from a Denver lockup yesterday after posting $10,000 bail on charges she went ballistic and screamed obscenities when a JetBlue flight attendant grabbed a lit cigarette from her mouth."If I had known this was going to happen, I would never have left New York City," said Christina Szele, 35, of Woodside, lighting up a cigarette yesterday outside the Denver courthouse. "I'm hoping to put this behind me."
The bail was set Monday by US Magistrate Judge Mark Watanabe, who imposed strict conditions: Szele can't fly on commercial flights and can't consume alcohol or drugs.
Her dad, Laszlo, who lives in San Francisco and turned 71 on Tuesday, posted the bail.
He said that when his daughter was released, she said, "Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, I'm free at last!"
Szele, a graphic designer, will probably take the train home, since her father has no plans to drive her.
She was on her way to celebrate her dad's birthday when she lit up a cigarette - an absolute no-no - on JetBlue Flight 643 midway between the Big Apple and San Francisco.
By her own admission, Szele - who has been known to bend an elbow - had quaffed two beers at home and three vodkas on the plane.
An FBI affidavit said that after flight attendant Paul Whyte "snatched the cigarette from her mouth," Szele began to kick and Scream, and Whyte placed a pair of plastic flex cuffs on her wrists.
Szele got free, and when Whyte, who is black, tried to cuff her again, she began cursing and called him a "dumb motherf - - - - -" and "you f- - -in' n- - - - -," the affidavit said.
Szele was f i n a l ly restrained, and the flight was diverted to Denver. Instead of a birthday party, she and her dad had an hourlong visit at the jail Tuesday. Szele planned to take him out for a steak dinner last night to make up for missing his party.
Szele said the FBI account of the incident was "exaggerated," but declined to offer her own version. She denied making the racial slurs.
An airline spokeswoman declined to comment.
Szele faces up to 20 years behind bars if convicted on the main charge, interfering with a flight crew.


Another case of airplane rage. Every so often you get a case like this. The funny thing is that I think airline pilots are even crazier. I have a friend who is a pilot for a big airline and when he is in town we get together for a few drinks. He always brings his flight crew and other pilots who have a layover. Let me tell you, a bigger bunch of crazy drunken idiots would be hard to find outside of Amy Winehouse's bathroom. This broad is your typical hipster dofuss chick who never had to answer for her actions. Hey kid, this ain't Williamsburg and you can't party and smoke and make as much noise as you want. They outlawed all of that stuff in America.

12 comments:

reader_iam said...

WTF? Where has she been for the last two-so decades? How did she manage to not reflexively redo even the most fundamental auto-actions with regard to smoking?

This not snark. This is awe. (This is also zero pity, and a whole lot of contempt, but never mind.)

(Yep, for those who can read between lines, I am indeed implying what I'm implying.)

Trooper York said...

Yes but you have much better impulse control these days. Look at how you have cut down on your use of verbs.

Impressive

reader_iam said...

You betray your having met reader_iam at a rather later, as opposed to earlier, point ... .

Which is OK, but still, I find it funny.

blake said...

What? You guys have met?

Aw, man, this is what I get for not living in New York.

Trooper York said...

Only on the internets dude, only on the internets.

Although I feel like I have met and gotten to know a lot of the commenters who have their own style. Plus I think reader is using a sock puppet to sneak in additional comments where she doesn't want to use her regular persona.

reader_iam said...

Nope, no socket puppetry on my end. Oh, once or twice I've accidentally posted under the wrong name because I happened to be longed into a different gmail account, specifically a work-related once, but I've then deleted and reposted under reader_iam.

Guess I over-internalized what at least used to be a pretty strong blogosphere attitude that it's a no-no. I realize that doesn't seem to be so anymore. And I certainly have a variety of gmail e-mails which I COULD use for commenting ... but I just don't. Haven't overcome the conditioning, I guess.

So, who on earth have you been thinking is a reader_iam alter-ego (wrongly, I assure you)? I'm now dying of curiosity!

reader_iam said...

"logged" and "one," not "longed" or "once"

Trooper York said...

Well the posts by a certain "madawaskan" sure sound a lot like you. Just sayn'

reader_iam said...

They do?!? No, they don't. (That's my editor side speaking.) Wow! That's intriguing.

I kid you not, Troop: No sock puppetry here. Not that I haven't been tempted, and especially more so recently. But there it is.

Trooper York said...

It’s the rhythm of the writing that is reminiscent of your style. Using a sock puppet isn’t such a bad idea because you can be mean without anyone charging it to your account. In other words it doesn’t go on your permanent record. As a dime store psychological insight, I think Miss Marcotte uses some sock puppets because she might want to come back to the center a little and doesn’t want to offend her base of raddled harridans and shut in cat molesters.

reader_iam said...

Ah, OK. Perhaps Madawaskan and I have similar speech patterns--or that he/she writes in a way similar how I speak. Because that's one of the keys to the reader_iam shtick, at least as its evolved--"written" speech (as distinct from actual, you know, writing, IRL, with the exception of casual e-mail).

(Yeah--the typos are another one. IRL, I am an anal-retentive editor/proofreader.)

Just thought you might get a kick out of that.

--

As for the "mean," the problems is that I would still be there to charge it to my account. Seriously--I don't mean that to sound as pretentious as it must. One rather large reason for drastically reducing commenting etc. is that, in my case, the blogosphere ends up bringing out the sharper, less generous side in me, and I hate that. Truly hate it, and I'm ashamed almost every time it happens. So.

Trooper York said...

You can be as mean as you want to be here. We like it rough at Trooper York. (Dirty too).....Hee Hee.....