Thursday, June 26, 2008

Top Ten Sitcoms on TV today, you know you watch them you losers!

10. Tyler Perry’s House of Payne. The other side of the Cosby’s this is an African American sitcom with a lot of heart. A single parent lives with his aunt and uncle and his baby mama who is a recovering drug addict. Lots of buffoonery but more realistic than a lot of other shows you will see on TV that’s for sure. Tyler Perry is a brand name nowadays like Disney, you know what you are getting and it is usually very entertaining.

9. How I Met Your Mother. A friend’s style sitcom. What makes it go is the breakout character of Barney played by Doogie Howser all grown up. What makes it especially funny is that Neil Patrick Harris has come out of the closet but plays the biggest hound dog womanizer on TV this side of Charley Sheen. Now this is real acting cause Sheen is just playing himself.

8. Hannah Montana. Yeah, yeah I know. But it is kind of a cute show and if you have tweener kids or grandkids you better get used to it. That’s all I got to say.

7. Rescue Me. Now you might call this a drama but the comic elements really take over this fireman drama. Plus Dennis Leary and his magic unicorn dick are just one big joke.

5. The Bill Engvald Show. Now why would you pick this run of the mill comedy with the all knowing mom dofuss dad and smart aleck kids? Well because it is gentle fun and very enjoyable way to spend a half hour. A real old fashioned traditional sitcom. Sort of like eating a grilled cheese sandwich. Familiar and comforting. Bust the mom is very high on the fuckabilty chart in my humble opinion.

4. Two and a Half Men. Two brothers sharing a Malibu Beach house with a slob of a son and nephew. The writing is pretty good and Charley Sheen spoofing his reputation is always good for laughs. And the kid is a hoot.

3. The Office is as good as it gets. It really shows you the craziness you run into in an office environment. And everyone has had a boss like Michael at one time or another. I think the American version is far superior to the English one. Dwight is another classic sitcom character. Ted Baxter gone viral. And the repressed blonde accountant bitch, man yet another classic office character. There is one in every office. In fact she is gonna report you for reading this right now instead of doing your work. Busted.

2. My Boys. I know most people don’t rate this sitcom this high but it has so many things I enjoy I had to push it up the list. A bunch of friends in Chicago who work in sports or sports related jobs. The cast is great and the guy who plays the brother really reminds me of me. In fact in the episode where he gets wasted and hires the mariachi band to follow him around was when my wife turned to me and said “Hey that’s something you would do.”

1. Thirty Rock. I like this show so much I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

11 comments:

reader_iam said...

Haven't seen a single one of them, not even once.

No, I'm not kidding.

Trooper York said...

Yes you are you literal minded lady you. Seriously, I think you would really enjoy Thirty Rock as it matchs what I see as your sensibility. It's literate and goofy all at the same time.

Also the Office would be fun.
It's a lot dryer in wit, but still damn funny.

Of course since you have a boy you won't see Hannah Montana. When I had my granddaughter last week it was Hannah Montana and High School Musical overload.

reader_iam said...

Oh, he'd watch Hannah Montana (he's seen it with cousins/friends) all right, if I'd let him.

But you already knew I can be a real bitch when I dig in my heels.

--

Yeah, those are the two that strike me as ones that might suit, and especially The Office.

Trooper York said...

Well all the characters are recognizable types if you have ever worked in an office setting. It can be excruiating at times though because they make you very uncomfortable because of the situation. You know, the office romance, the crazed boss, the officious second banana, the kid who gets promoted and now lords it over you. It would remind you of those golden days with Woodward and Bernstein.

Trooper York said...

Hey I recommend Thirty Rock even though that commie pinko Alec Baldwin is in it. And he is basically making fun of Republicans with his character. But it is really funny.

And Tracy Morgan is out of his mind.

Good stuff. You can catch old shows on the net.

blake said...

I've seen "Hannah Montana" but only against my will.

I'm just so off the sitcoms. Dunno why.

reader_iam said...

I clearly and badly misspoke here. Obviously, I have seen Hannah Montana, but I guess I just don't count that as "watching." Sorta like I check out games my son wants to play, but I wouldn't consider that "playing" video games, something else I don't do. Sorry for the lack of clarity and the glaring weirdness.

The rest of what I said stands.

Trooper York said...

Hey Hannah Montana is just a fun family sitcom in a real old fashioned sort of way. It's like all the other genric Disney sitcoms and this new Carly girl will be the new "star" along with those Jonas Broter guys.

Of course they are going to really screw up the franchise with the new spin-off: Hannah Montana Urban Legend where she plays an insane liberal commenter who lives in her fathers basement with 20 cats and a vibrator.

blake said...

lol

That is just wrong, Troop.

reader_iam said...

OK, now THAT I might very well watch.

Not with the kid, though.

LOL.

Icepick said...

Okay, not only have I not watched any of these, I don't even recognize the names of a couple of them. I'm watching too much of "The Rockford Files" and HAwaii Five-O" five nights a week, leavened with the occassional episode of "Mission: Impossible" and the new "Doctor Who" on DVD from NetFlix.