Monday, June 23, 2008

What do you do when you are bored with TV

There aren't many new shows on TV lately so when we want to relax we have to find something else to do. At the end of a long day we like to veg in front of the tube and watch something we tivod to wind down. But there really haven't been any new shows that have been any fun. Most of my favorites like the Wire and Deadwood are long gone and even the silly sitcoms are in what seems like perpetually reruns. You can only watch so much Bridezillas and Ice Road Truckers until you go crazy. I usually read or maybe post on the net, but the wife starts to get stir crazy after a while. The only reasonable solution is to rent a pay per view movie, but then you have to invest an hour or more in it and that's not worth it most of the time. With Tivo, you can zip past the commercials and be done in a half hour most of the time. It's funny the shit you complain about. I remember when we didn't even have vcr's and could only watch the eight broadcast channels. It was a big treat when you could catch the Spanish Channel 47 which had professional wrestling with Bruno Sanmartino and Chief Jay Strongbow. Life was simpler then.

3 comments:

blake said...

Yeah, what the hell is up with that? It's like the various channels are going all year 'round but all of a sudden there's nothing on.

Maybe the consequence of the writer's strike a few months ago?

Trooper York said...

It definately was the writers strike. The problem is it upsets your mindless routine. Watching a movie is too big of an investment of time and attention. When we start a movie my wife starts to get interested in it and we have to watch it to the end. I will read while it is on but she will ask me to interpert what is going on. Now with Tivo you can rewind a regular movie as though it was a tape. So we have to rewind and talk about what just happened that I wasn't paying attention to as I zoned into my book. On the other hand TV is so mindless that we don't have to worry. It can wash over you like a soft summer rain.

blake said...

Heheh. I get that, too, though I can't read a book while the TV is on. (I can read the computer though, go figger.)

Those boys are gonna strike themselves out of existence one day.