Monday, June 23, 2008

I really like something until I don't like it anymore.

I am a creature of habit. I find something I like and I start to follow it. It could be radio talk show, or a tv show, or a series of books, or a blog. Since I have a pretty good memory, I remember a lot of what goes on in whatever I am following so when they start to repeat themselves it can get kind of boring. It loses a lot of its entertainment value. So I generally drop it and move to something else. Sometimes you are stuck though and you can't really move on. Case in point the Mike and the Mad Dog show on WFAN. As a big sports fan, I have to have some sports talk every day. The only time I really have is in the afternoon on the job or when I am travelling home on the train. So I am locked into this program. I can't listen to ESPN as it is a national show and doesn't take New York Sports into the right level of detail. So I am stuck listening to these idiots because I don't have much choice. I used to listen to Rush and O'Reilly but they are getting pretty repetitive. And politics is basically boring me these days so I avoid them as much as I can. I have to multi-task and do three or four things at the same time or my brain starts to overheat. So I have to listen to something. It would be great if they set up a new sports show.

5 comments:

blake said...

I have a very tenuous connection to TV shows. I won't work very hard to find a show, nor to pay attention to season beginning and ending.

I watched one season of "Seinfeld" and could tell you exactly how any subsequent episode was going to end after the first act. Still made me laugh but lost interest.

Trooper York said...

Well TV is furniture. You have it turned on in the background while you do something else. But so many of the people I really despise claim not to watch TV at all. Then you make a joke about something that riffs off a TV show and they laugh uproariously. There are plenty of shows that are worth you while these days. Especially on cable. But even stupid sitcoms can be fun if you go into them with the right spirit. Not everything can be high culture. Thank God.

Trooper York said...

What kills me is the glut of the same kind of show. These Law and Order, CSI, Criminal Minds shows are all so easy to figure out. They are as formulaic as any Western from the old days. When a show is different and funny and off kilter like Men in Trees, it gets cancelled. So when you find something different you kind of cherish it. You really just want to veg out and relax after a long day and TV is great for that.

blake said...

I'm fine with TV after dark. When it's light out, and the earlier in the day, I despise it.

Go figger.

I don't actually watch much TV in the sense of TV shows--sitcoms, police dramas, reality shows...well, that's pretty much all they make these days.

I do watch the heck out of movies, though, as you know. And I consider it a matter of taste. Something like "Deadwood" or "Rome" will suck me in for 12 weeks.

26 episodes is a bit hard to endure these days. I've completely gone off sitcoms, though, except for the animated ones.

I don't try to analyze my own taste. Or be a snob about it.

blake said...

And I can't do the "background noise" thing. I know people love it for that, but it makes me cuckoo.