Friday, January 13, 2012

Equal time for Packer fans



Michael Haz said...
I spent an hour in the Green Bay Packers locker room one day in 1970, courtesy of Rocky Bleier.
It's a strange story, and every word of it is true, as sure as my name's Bob.

I was a student at the second-rate college that was then called Wisconsin State University-Oshkosh, about one hour south of Green Bay.I was a lousy student. I swam through my first year in an ocean of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Three months into my second year the Dean of Students forcefully suggested that I leave college, and if at all possible, leave Oshkosh as well.

I took eighteen months off, moved into my parent's basement and worked two eight-hour jobs so I could save up enough money to go back.When I went back I lived in a rented townhouse with four other guys. They were all vets, older than me. They grew up in Appleton, half way between Oshkosh and Green Bay. Two of them graduated from Xavier High School where they were freshmen when Rocky Bleier was a senior.Bleier was a football hero in Appleton, and later at Notre Dame. He enlisted after college, went to 'Nam, and was shot in the leg. While he was on the ground a grenade exploded driving shrapnel into his leg, and taking off part of a foot. He had been drafted by the Steelers before going in to the Army. While he was rehabbing his legs, Art Rooney told him he wanted him to join the team. Great story; you can look it up.

Anyhow, I'm sitting in my townhouse one Wednesday after class and a couple of my roommates walk in with a third guy. The guy had a limp. One of them said "Haz, this is Bleier." We shook hands. I thought I was being punked.

We all went out for beer and hamburgers and beer and co-eds. Rocky was a magnet. Wow, was he a magnet. After a while I started to believe that he was who he said he was, but I wanted one last test. So I said "Hey Rock, as long as you're in town for a few days, can you get us in to meet some Packers?" He laughed and said "Probably. I'll let you know."Ha! An impostor.

Until the phone rang Thursday at noon and Rocky said "It's all set. Pick me up at my old man's bar in Appleton and we'll go."We piled into the least-beater of our cars, picked up Rocky and went to Lambeau. We went to a door the players use. Rocky talked tot he security guy, he looked at a clipboard and went to get an assistant coach. That guy came out, greeted us, and said "Come on in, boys.

"Cheese on a cracker! We were in the Packers locker room. Guys were pounding Bleier on the back (and shaking our hands).Lynn Dickey, David Whitehurst, Eddie Lee Ivery, James Lofton, Larry McCarren, Mike McCoy. Chaster Marcol was there, and probably sober.We went into the training room, the therapy room. Us non-footballers stood by and watched Bleier interact with the Packers players. Most of them were partly dressed, going into and out of the showers. I haven't seen that much salami in an Italian deli.

Our hour was up and we were ushered out. We went back to Appleton and had a few beers at Bleier's parents bar, then a few more at Schreiter's.We dropped Rocky at this parent's house and weaved our way back to Oshkosh.

Bleier rehabbed like a madman that year. He lived in Chicago and part of his regimen was to run the Sears Tower stairs twice each day. Monster.He went back to the Steelers and was teamed up with Franco Harris in the backfield. He played in four Steelers Super Bowl games.The football field at Xavier High School in Appleton, Wisconsin is now named Bleier Field.

You can look it up.

And that's my story.



Great story Michael. It is instructive that your main memory of the Packers were about a bunch of dicks. So to speak. Just sayn' Not that there's anything wrong with that.

11 comments:

Titus said...

God that story makes me horny.

I love locker room scenes.

Now gyms have "separate" showers with doors, Total bullshit.

tits.

Titus said...

I went to some games with my dad when they played at Milwaukee Stadium.

It was fucked up.

1/2 the field was a baseball stadium and the seating layout (a baseball stadium) sucked. Everyone had a flask of liquor, my dad's had brandy. He loves brandy old fashions-he is so Wisconsin.

I think that was around the Lynn Dickey time.

I wouldn't want the name Lynn Dickey or Peter Dinklage.

tits.

Michael Haz said...

I'm a mellowed-out middle-aged guy. Not much excitement going on.

But I've had an interesting life at times.

Darcy said...

I had a boss from Appleton once! She was so nice. Judy McDaniel.

Darcy said...

And great story, Michael. :)

Michael Haz said...

Thanks D. :-)

Ruth Anne Adams said...

I have a couple college friends who went to Xavier. It's pronounced 'ZAVE-yer' and not 'ECKS-ayv-ee-er'. Word to the wise.

I spent a summer in Appleton just before I joined the Army. That was the summer of Oliver Stone's "Platoon" which featured another Appleton star, Willem Dafoe.

Good times.

Bits.

ndspinelli said...

Michael Haz, Great story. Thanks. My favorite aspect of sitting in this friendly bar is hearing life stories.

Michael Haz said...

Ruth Anne - Shreiter's on Walnut is (was?) the oldest bar in Appleton, per the Appleton Historical Society. One of my roommate's family owned it.

Rocky Bleier's family's bar was called Bob Bleier's Bar. it was across from the Appleton Police Station. I think it's now a faux Irish bar called McGuinn's.

Tid Bits

I'm Full of Soup said...

Good story Haz. Heh "you weaved back to Oshkosh" - that was when no one got in their car without a sixpack or two for the ride.

Michael Haz said...

AJ - Right! Back in the day, we measured distance in cans, not miles.

"How far is it from Milwaukee to Madison?" "Three-and-a-half, maybe four cans."